Wireless Adapter connects to Router, but NO INTERNET CONNECTION

Hello,

I have a Netgear MR814v2 Wireless Router, and a MA111 USB Wireless Adapter. I have setup WEP and enabled wireless connection on the router. I have installed and setup the key on the adapter from my computer. I set the IP address to auto, and it grabs the ip of 192.168.0.4 from the router.

2 other pc's that are WIRED, gets .2 and .3 endings. So no conflicts. They both can access the internet just fine.

My computer gets a strong connection from the router, and the router registers the computer into it's log, so eveything seems fine, except I CANNOT get internet access.

When trying to ping the router, it gets timed out! What is the problem here? This adapter works on another network so i know its not the adapter.

I'll try to update firmware of the router when i get home. Does anyone know if that usb adapter MA111 has firmware upgrade available?

Please help!

when i assign a valid ip address same problem occurs.

So i have upgraded to firmware 5.3. This seems to have worsen the case. Now, i am having problems connecting even with the WIRED computer. It seems to be able to get on some sites, but it is extremely slow. And half the case, it will get an error. The same error you get when you don' t have internet connection.

I think it is seriously this lousy Netgear router. I am trying to find the previous firmware (5.03) to revert back to it, but netgear's website don't have it anymore.

I have a Dlink Wireles router at home, and that works perfectly, with both wired and wireless. Its this netgear, that i have rma'd before too, that is giving me problems at my girlfriend's house.

sigh. anyone know where i can find 5.03? or have this same problem? and think i should return it, and go get myself a DLink?

Bump. Is there anyone else with this problem? Even if u dont have a solution, it'll be comforting to hear that im not the only one. thanks

So now, i have reverted the router back to 5.03 firmware, and wired internet is working fine again.

I have a speestream 5100b modem, and according to netgear, i have to disable the PPPoE. (since it is built into these new modems, and conflicts with the ROUTER trying to go PPPoE) http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101306.asp

So I tried the wireless adaptar MA111 on one of the wired pc, and it seems to work fine too. I tried it back on my pc and same problem. I think i know what the problem is now.

I think it is because I am using 2 different drivers on the 2 computers. On the one that is working, I am using the CDROM driver, which is version 1.1. (for usb1.1). I tried this same driver on my pc, and whenever I connected the ADAPTER, my windows would detect it, then immediately crash to blue screen. So therefore, i installed Netgear's Newer driver MA111(v1) 2.0. (NOT ma111v2)

I assume the drivers are 1.1 for usb1.1, and 2.0 for usb2.0. My ASUS A7N8X-X is usb2.0, and i thought that it should help. So after installing the driver2.0, it detects the adapter just fine, and i can go into the settings, but result in no internet connection.

In conclusion, i can't use driver 1.1, cuz it crashes windows everytime. I can't use 2.0 because it won't connect. WHAT CAN I DO? anyone know a solution?

sigh. maybe i need to get another wireless adapter.

Last edited by GODzillaSDM on 10-22-2004 at 06:01 AM

Back