Wireless activity makes audible noise on soundcard

Menocu

n00b
Hey guys,

Just got a Microsoft 802.11g (MN720) PCI adapter installed, which uses the Broadcom chipset.

Whenever I use the headphone port on my GameSurround Fortissimo III (Crystal audio chipset), I can hear the individual packets going out on my network card! If I load a page, I can hear the servers tick back and forth then hear the big torrent of data afterwards. If I play a game, it's just nonstop.

The sound is a somewhat faint, scratching noise that only happens in the left speaker. I can't alter the volume by adjusting the mixer settings; this leads me to believe that there are some kind of driver/resource conflicts at play here.

Any advice would be highly appreciated; this is really obnoxious!

sounds to me like your actually getting more noise than from your wi card, it sounds like the whole system is producing noise. try running some random bench mark and see if you still hear it.

are you using the headphone jack on your card or your case?

if it's the case, then the cable going from your sound card to the case is cheap, and not insulated correctly.

if it's the card, then your kinda outta luck, I mean, there could be a few internal electrical 'fix''s out there, but I don't know of any.

this is exaclty why I, and pro audio types, use breakout boxes for audio, it removes all the componants out side the case so as to recieve any interferrence.

what you hear is quite natural though, it's luck of the draw as to how much sound you hear.

plus I would ask a moderator to move this to the audio forum, you'll get more answers there

Not an uncommon problem. I first saw it in some Sagers we sold while working for a Wireless LAN/WAN company. Saw it some time later in a particular model of a Toshiba laptop line. I've also read several posts over the past few years. I never found an answer and I haven't seen one either. Toshiba kept saying it was Power saving BIOS features that when turned off would fix it. Not. Your probably stuck frankly. Let us know if you find an answer.

This is a complet shot-in-the-dark, but have you tried muting all of your inputs on your sound card? I was getting noise doing certain stuff, and muting the mic-in/cd audio in/line-in fixed it.

I have a pair of cheap speaker on one of my boxes and know when my cell phone is about to ring.

but that is cheapness for you

Back