Wireing headset

MoDsOuRcEdOtNeT

Limp Gawd
Hi, I wanna wire an old headset into a 3.55mm jack and the jack has 2 wires and i stripped away my headset and it has 3. I cant figure out what I need to do. The headset has a white one (plastic coated) and the other two are red and blue and looked like braided wire. There is also copper wire around it, (ground?)

What do I need to do?

Thanks.

most 3.5mm headphone jacks i've ever seen have left channel, right channel, and ground

MoDsOuRcEdOtNeT said:
Yes, and is there anyway I can wire a mic into it? If yes what wires are for the mic?
If you disassembled an old cable for the plug, it might be a mono cable, with just two metal pieces to the plug itself. The wire for any stereo cable will have three wires. One of them is shared, and usually coats the other two in individual jackets you need to pull apart.
Either way, just go to Radio Shack and pick up a new plug. It will have a threaded plastic piece and metal screw-in plug, it's easy to solder the wires onto these and makes for a clean, good connection.

Well I found out which wires are for the mic (white + copper) and tried soldering them to a 3.5mm plug both ways possible and I dont get any results either way. Any ideas?

Back