Wired Xbox 360 controller on Win8

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a wired Madcatz Xbox 360 controller and I have been using it on Windows 7 x64 for years and Vista before that. I upgraded to Win 8 x64 a few days ago and am unable to install the controller. When attempting to install, it identifies it as an Xbox 360 Controller but I get an error that says one of the installers for this device can not perform the installation at this time.

I'd like to know if anyone has successfully installed an Xbox 360 controller on Windows 8.

My wireless works the same as with 7. Could be the madcatz controller.

both my wired and wireless with the pc receiver work and were plug n play with automatic driver detection, both are oem Micro$oft btw...

I'm betting it's the MadCatz.

When it comes to controllers, I always buy official.

I'm betting it's the MadCatz.

When it comes to controllers, I always buy official.

This right here. Granted I don't own a console anymore, but back when I used to I would only strictly buy official controllers for whatever system I owned.

This started with the N64, after buying a few 3rd party controllers that stopped working before the original system controller did; I refused to buy 3rd party controllers after that.

Official or gtfo :p

update :

I grabbed one of the kids "Datel" third party xbox controllers and tried that. Installed with no issues and works perfectly.

£12 from Argos

update :

I grabbed one of the kids "Datel" third party xbox controllers and tried that. Installed with no issues and works perfectly.

£12 from Argos

Thank you, very useful to know that 3rd party ones are confirmed to work.

And true most third party ones suck but a $10 saving is $10 savings. All the other ones I use for the actual Xbox are wireless official ones.

Thank you, very useful to know that 3rd party ones are confirmed to work.

And true most third party ones suck but a $10 saving is $10 savings. All the other ones I use for the actual Xbox are wireless official ones.

You can find used wired controllers for like 15-20 on ebay. Microsoft ones.

The third party controllers I've tried always have a terrible 'cheap' feeling to them. Be it either the D-pad being loose, the buttons not pressing properly, or the sticks having the wrong resistance. They also tend to feel a lot lighter and less sturdy than the official controller. It's really not worth saving the few extra bucks.

Back