Wired vs Wireless mouse? What's your vote & why?

Wired vs Wireless mice....Why did you choose what you chose?

• Wired

Votes: 129 62.9%
  • Wireless

Votes: 76 37.1%

• Total voters
Wireless. Plain sick of all the wires hanging on my desk. Cleaned up the work area quite a bit (along with wireless keyboard).

I love my wireless for general use.. reliable, hefty, good battery.. but it's too heavy I think for precision stuff.

well first of all not all wireless mice are the same.......if you buy the crappy nonrechargeable ones yea youre begging for trouble. the other thing is most of the wireless mice (including the new ms ones)just have one light, green for good red for low.....a little late if youre in the middle of a game.
the lag just doesnt exist on the new 2.4ghz mice. i have an mx revolution, and had an mx 1000 prior to that. i gave my old mouse to a friend and its been solid for 2+ years. at this point the only 2 i would trust are the logitech mx revolution or mx1000 if you can still find one. ive heard people say the bluetooth versions of some mice do lag (ie: mx revolution that comes with the mx5500 bluetooth set).
i would never go back to a wired mouse again unless i had no choice. i play all sorts of games but mostly fps, and ive never had any problems. i just picked up 2 of microsofts new wireless laser 7000 rechargeable mice for the kids cuz they were on sale. they arent too bad, although i wouldnt want the squishy scroll wheel for gaming and i found the mouse a bit small for my hand, but overall it tracked really well and is very very light.it too though has a one-light indicator. my vote would be the mx revolution if you want to go wireless.

Wow, this thread has really been dragged out of the vaults.. this is December 2005.

I have a Logitech MX Revolution, incidentally, which I'm happy with, but it's a pain to keep recharging - the MS Intellimice seem to last for months and months on a pair of AAs, so I'm not sure why a LiIon battery in a Logitech mouse lasts a couple of weeks at best. I've used both Bluetooth and RF mouse and never noticed any lag, but I'm not exactly a pro gamer anyway.

Wired=FTW
Wireless=FTL

Wireless will only have you throwing the mouse across the room is you can't get to work when playing a game. Okay I didn't go that far when I had one but I slammed it down countless times on the mouse pad.

And for the record MX1000=PoS

Wired ftw, i had the G7, thing was so horrible, got the G5 and havent been happier

I exclusively use notebooks, and have an extreme dislike of wires surrounding my computer. Hence, I go wireless.

Wired ftw, i had the G7, thing was so horrible, got the G5 and havent been happier

Wireless are better than they used to be, but I still vote wired if only for the fact that you don't have to worry about batteries or charging the thing.

I'm a wired mouse guy all the way.

Wireless keyboards are great. Wireless mouse? Ehh, not so much.

Wow, this thread has really been dragged out of the vaults.. this is December 2005.

I have a Logitech MX Revolution, incidentally, which I'm happy with, but it's a pain to keep recharging - the MS Intellimice seem to last for months and months on a pair of AAs, so I'm not sure why a LiIon battery in a Logitech mouse lasts a couple of weeks at best. I've used both Bluetooth and RF mouse and never noticed any lag, but I'm not exactly a pro gamer anyway.

2 Weeks on a charge? You must not use your Revolution very much....well that or the battery in mine was crap. I guess I'll find out over the next week, since I just had my last Revolution replaced under warranty (wheel didn't spin very well anymore....new one spins like a champ :) )

I go with wireless, because wires are a PITA. I guess if you're a competitive gamer, it makes sense to go with a wired mouse....and if you were doing work that required 2k DPI or better, then I could see using something better than the MX1000 or Revolution, but I like all the buttons....personally I think i like the side buttons on the MX1000 better, but the Revolution is pretty solid for work. 1000 is better for gaming (don't like the thumb wheel in games).

I voted wired because I never liked changing batteries on something that I will use a lot. I got enough problems with cell phones and tv remotes to worry about my mouse batteries. :D

I'm a wireless fan because I can move it around easily. I like to lie in my bed and put something on and be able to click from my bed w/o having to go to my desk. Laziness basically.

I also do game periodically.... funny thing is, I keep 2 things next to me at my computer desk. One is a box of 30+ AA batteries. Another is an old wired mouse.. "just in case".

Since we're on the topic, is there such a thing where a mouse or keyboard can recharge wireless yet?

I've seen solar keyboards before, but not sure about mouse yet.

Talk about a necro thread.

Anyway, I'm still using my MX700 and it's still going strong other than places where I have worn off the "finish". Last year, after 4 1/2 years, I finally replaced the original batteries in the mouse as they weren't holding as much of a charge anymore. I now have 2500mah rechargeables in it which usually last a good long while even if I forget to put the mouse back in the cradle to charge. The original batteries aren't totally shot, I think I currently have them in either a flashlight or a remote and they still work fine.

I still won't go wired for my main mouse. As it is I have 2 trackballs, a wireless mouse and a wired mouse on my desk for different systems. I still have a couple other systems without mice or keyboards which luckily do not need them very often.

I've thought about getting the MX Revolution but I do not care for the feel or the button placement. While the MX700 isn't the ultimate in button placement, I like it a lot better than the MX Revolution.

Wireless..I enjoy changing my batteries every other week, and having the receiver about a foot away.

Come to think of it, I think its time to upgrade. My logitech wireless combo is from high school about 6 years ago. Kind of funny considering they are hooked up to a top of the line system I build not too long ago. :)

Does anyone else like the IntelliMice and their 5+ month battery life? I know I'm a fan of not having to replace my mouse batteries every 2 weeks or not remembering to charge it at the end of two days. Oh and way to go 3 year old thread.

Most of the time I use wireless. The logitch stuff has great battery life, and I use rechargeable batteries so no problem there. I do have a set of good wired mouse/keyboard for LAN parties. It just works better there.

I like the freedom of a wireless mouse cause i can put my pc just about anywhere in my room. Don't like my pc near me because of the noise, ha ha ha.

I like wired too but you are tethered to the pc so close but I think a wired mouse is more accurate.

Does anyone else like the IntelliMice and their 5+ month battery life? I know I'm a fan of not having to replace my mouse batteries every 2 weeks or not remembering to charge it at the end of two days. Oh and way to go 3 year old thread.

My mother has one. I'm not sure if it's a high end or more mid-line device, but I don't like it as much as the MX1000 or the Revolution. I think that the 3rd party Uberoptions gives the edge to Logitech mice.

Uberoptions makes the mx1000 a great mouse for MMOs

As for 5 months on a battery, is that a rechargeable battery? I don't use Alks for wireless a keyboard or mouse. Wireless keyboard batteries tend to last forever, so no biggie there. My 1000 lasts several weeks (because I use it at home, so it gets less use these days). My Revolution at work tended to last a week or so, so figure 60 hours (give or take). I rarely had it die, and the truth is if I get low on power, i can just drop it in the cradle while I"m doing a bunch of typing and within 10 minutes of that, it's got enough charge for the rest of the day......drop it in the cradle at lunch and I'm halfway to to full.

5 months is nice, but it's just not essential to me.

I like the freedom of a wireless mouse cause i can put my pc just about anywhere in my room. Don't like my pc near me because of the noise, ha ha ha.

I like wired too but you are tethered to the pc so close but I think a wired mouse is more accurate.

Change the fans. Unless you're doing some outrageous overclocking, you can make your PC virtually silent. I built one for my mother where the only noise you can hear is the HD and the DVD drive, and it's got 5 fans. Of course they're all running at 800RPM or less, but I think the 1200 rpm 9 fin Skythe's would likely be almost as quiet.

as a gamer, i have to agree that a wireless mouse is not as reliable, and precise. I have a mx518 right now. Looking for a good corded laser mouse for my next one. If I need a longer cord, then I can add a simple usb extension cord.

Wired is the way to go.

Sometimes technological advancements are really improvements.

Wired. The legnth of my mouse wire is directly related to the size of my epeen.. Unfortunately my mouse dangles right below the IO panel due to a short cable. :(

Never really saw a point for a wireless mouse in my setups over the years, seeing as the mouse was never more than a couple of feet from the tower. The way I see it, why bother with batteries and input lag when you don't have to?

I have both...but like many have said ...when it comes to gaming I prefer a wired mouse. Nothing worse than being in the heat of action and your mouse die on you.

As for 5 months on a battery, is that a rechargeable battery?

As long as it's not one of the wireless bluetooth models you should be good. I use normal alkaline batteries and they surely last longer than a week or month. With heavy usage, I think I've had to replace my batteries after 2 or 3 months. But normally I cannot remember the last time I changed my batteries. Whenever windows starts complaining about low battery I'm like "when was the last time I changed you guys?" My brother has his Wireless Intellimouse on standby for when he forgets to recharge his MX Revolution.

I've got a G7 right now. I use to use a microsoft wireless mouse and allways had connection problems and pains. The G7 has been trouble free. I have NEVER had a connection problem. As for battery, it has 2 rechargable li-polys which you just change the one in the mouse to the charger about once a week. (OMG it is sooo taxing on my to have to do that :rollseyes:) Well worth it to not have "cord drag".

I use both wired and wireless. I use wired for my gaming desktop because its mission critical baby. Can't lose a firefight due to me forgetting to charge the battery. I use wireless RF on my web browsing/work/office PC however. I also have an RF Microsoft mini wireless notebook mouse that takes a single AA battery and turns off when you plug the reciever back into the bottom of the mouse. Its awesome.

Bluetooth for mice? I hate that shit. RF all the way. Keyboards are a different story, and mine are wired.

The better choice is having both, I love my MX1000 but it has delays periodically and IMO it's too heavy for gaming.

I have a wired mouse and a wireless keyboard. I am now looking to purchase a wired keyboard as the dying batteries and the lack of precision always happen at the worst times.

I don't get the need for wireless keyboards, but I love wireless mice. I can't stand the cord pulling or getting caught or tangled on the mouse...at the minimum, somehow it always ends up with the weight of the cord at least hanging off the desk, pulling on the mouse ever so slightly.

I'm no hardcore PC FPS gamer these days but I have loved my MX1000 ever since I bought it. One of my best and longest-lasting PC purchases.
I only charge the thing once a month or so.

I can't stand the lag with wireless mice, however small it is. Voted for wired.

As long as it's not one of the wireless bluetooth models you should be good. I use normal alkaline batteries and they surely last longer than a week or month. With heavy usage, I think I've had to replace my batteries after 2 or 3 months. But normally I cannot remember the last time I changed my batteries. Whenever windows starts complaining about low battery I'm like "when was the last time I changed you guys?" My brother has his Wireless Intellimouse on standby for when he forgets to recharge his MX Revolution.

Ok, well that's a huge difference. I can't remember the last time I used non-rechargeable batteries for anything other than a back up if my rechargeable died. Rechargeable are ultimately cheaper and the newer Sanyo and Rayovac batteries can hold a charge for months (possibly a year).

MX1000 is the only good mouse for me. I've tried the G7, too, and hated the short battery life. I've had the MX1000 for years and it still gives me a week on a charge.

I like the MX1000 a lot as well. What I don't like is that it's not a good mouse if you use the USB Connection, and it seems like PS2 Mouse connectors are starting to disappear. However, From what I can tell, MX1000's that came with a USB thumb receiver, don't have the problem. I co-worker has one with a thumb USB receiver (Looks like the one I got with an MX Revolution and the mouse has a red connect button, instead of a black one like mine has), and he has no problems, so maybe I could get one of those and it'd solve the problem.

Wired. No lag, no excuses, no bullshit.:cool:. Razer Diamondback Acid atm, going to a 3G Frost in a month so my gear matches.

For personal computer I will always choose wired. I can't stand the lag of most wireless mouse, though my media centers laser wireless mouse isn't too bad. Wireless is decent for non-gaming or casual computer usage.

Back