Wired Vlan Capable Router Recommendation

kydsid

Supreme [H]ardness
Recently moved my work computer to a wired connection at home. Currently have a Netgear Orbi serving as router. Want to move the Orbi to AP duty only for wifi devices and get a new router that using Vlan will segment everything wired (personal computer, printer, work computer, voip system, entertainment stack (xbox, firetv 1st gen, multi zone av system) into seperate vlan's. Primary purpose of the new router would be security (firmware updates against new threats etc), then vlans. Looking at Cisco RV340 as top contender, maybe Linksys 214 or Netgear BR200. Opinions or better ideas?. Do not wan to roll my own on a custom box (don't have time for that with kids, work and the rest). Thanks.

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite is a decent, relatively inexpensive choice. It's good for up to 1 Gb/s. There is also the 4 and other higher-end models that you might consider if you think you might want to run some additional services, such as VPN. Only issue with Ubiquiti is to be cautious with new firmware releases and let others be the beta testers before upgrading.

Though really, rolling OPNsense (or pfSense) on a small box really isn't that difficult or time-consuming. There are plenty of ready-to-go systems on Amazon/etc. Realistically, setting up VLANs/ACLs/etc. is going to be where the real time and effort is spent, and will be about the same as any other option. OPNsense is maybe a bit more forgiving if you're not networking-savvy.

It depends on what type of vlan you want--by port or by tag. Check the owners manual of whatever you're looking to buy.

After working with the smb level routers back when I didn't know better, I would skip them altogether and shoot straight for an enterprise grade fortigate or similar since you can find them for around the same price as the smb ones in the cdw outlet. And the enterprise ones make the smb ones look like toys.

It depends on what type of vlan you want--by port or by tag. Check the owners manual of whatever you're looking to buy.

After working with the smb level routers back when I didn't know better, I would skip them altogether and shoot straight for an enterprise grade fortigate or similar since you can find them for around the same price as the smb ones in the cdw outlet. And the enterprise ones make the smb ones look like toys.

I'd like some flexibility in vlan type. I'm willing to pay to future proof to a point, as in dual wan, or vlan types or extended time till EOL.

But I don't think I need Enterprise level, plus haven't they largely gone to subscriptions for updates, support, security etc.

Back