Wired’s Evan Ratliff Found After 25 Days

Great read. It would get lonely after a while but the most disturbing thing is you cannot travel across America via train or plane without I.D.? You'd think the guy was doing this in the Eastern Block during the 70's. Land of the Free.

I read this article today. It pretty much gives someone the basics on how to disappear. I find it funny that he want to Utah for soccer and they knew of that and still did not find him, lol.

great read or not it is a bunch of BS....let's say you committed some type of crime that would send you away for a long long time. you would stay the fuck off the internet. cash only and no atms or credit cards...ever heard of a check cashing place?

millions of illegal immigrants manage to do this. the only point of the article is that someone who is use to all the crap in their previous life will have a hard time adapting to a new life without such pleasantries. wah!

really if they framed him and made him actually believe he was going away for life, i bet he could have lasted much longer. the rules he had to follow are shit and completely negate anything useful about this article.

As for reality show, do it Survivorman style. Give him a few hidden cams for business transactions/regular walking around etc. and a flip camcorder or something to do some self narrated segments and a secure FTP/http site to upload to. Finding free/anon internet like some cafe etc. to do the weekly upload would be part of the challenge.

Part of the problem of doing this sort of thing is not breaking laws as you go. That would make it tough.

As much as he dedicated himself to it, he didn't dedicate himself to it. If you're going to hide don't intentionally try to appear in newspapers (swine flu interview.) Don't aggressively follow sites dedicated to your location unless you are certain you are anon. Why post your photo to facebook? Use a photo of your cat or something if you really need facebook. If you're going to log into a Facebook account to follow your followers, don't do it with the account you're trying to bring up as your new you account, use a third unrelated account.

"Anyone who built an application to use on a corporate site, I assumed, would need cooperation from the company to track their users." That's completely naive.

The other thing is, disappearing is certainly not for everyone. I know people who are basically invisible 90% of the time by default. Evans desperate need to socialize, especially on Facebook gave him up.

kind of meh considering he had to drop hints at where he was at

As much as he dedicated himself to it, he didn't dedicate himself to it. If you're going to hide don't intentionally try to appear in newspapers (swine flu interview.) Don't aggressively follow sites dedicated to your location unless you are certain you are anon. Why post your photo to facebook? Use a photo of your cat or something if you really need facebook. If you're going to log into a Facebook account to follow your followers, don't do it with the account you're trying to bring up as your new you account, use a third unrelated account.

"Anyone who built an application to use on a corporate site, I assumed, would need cooperation from the company to track their users." That's completely naive.

The other thing is, disappearing is certainly not for everyone. I know people who are basically invisible 90% of the time by default. Evans desperate need to socialize, especially on Facebook gave him up.

Yeah, he was trying to be found by leaving clues and trails. He could have dissapeared into the national forests for 6 months easily and still had aircard access. Or hid in his NOLA apartment with prepaid credit cards and phones for months.

Really enjoyed reading this article. It's amazing (and scary) what people can do these days to track a single person across the U.S.

It's a good read and all but... it's like playing a low stakes poker game. Sure $5000 is a lot of money, but not enough to make it worth looking. If the ante was upped to $500K then this would be a much more interesting story.

It's a good read and all but... it's like playing a low stakes poker game. Sure $5000 is a lot of money, but not enough to make it worth looking. If the ante was upped to $500K then this would be a much more interesting story.

Only if nobody had actually found him for that amount. Dude, for $500k, Bill Gates himself would have been looking for him--and he would have lasted about 15 minutes... LOL! :D

at 500k, it would have become a national manhunt. a little out of the range they were trying to show. I think most of these people were doing it more for fun, than $$$.

20k might have been enough to spark some more legit interest. I would assume bounty hunters do manhunts in that range (just guessing).

Back