wired router + wireless router = hmm

dajet24

2[H]4U
ok ok so i realize iam making more work for myself but.

I have a DLINK DGL-4100 Gaming Router I use to use but then my wife got a laptop and insisted on wireless... so i have a cheapo wireless linksys router I been using instead.
I hate to have my awsome wired gigbit router wasting away I have a couple comps hooked up thru cat 5 and would like to take advanatge of that bandwidth ( yes they both have gigbit lan cards)

what is easiest way to setup the DLINK DGL-4100 Gaming Router as the main router to the cable modem and then have the wireless plugged in to it for the laptops ?

figured I would ask before I started playing with it.

thanks

Just turn off DHCP on the Linksys and connect the WAN port on it to one of the ports on your D-Link router. Should look and taste the same as far as your wife is concerned. Then just connect the D-Link to everything else and the internet.

ok thats what i was gonna do it will still assign ip's to everyone we have 2 laptops and a couple little wireless devices that hook up to it.

Don't connect the WAN port of the Linksys to the DLink, that will double-NAT all your wireless traffic. Instead go LAN port to LAN port after making sure the DHCP server is turned OFF on the Linksys. You'll also want to make sure the Linksys has an IP address on the same subnet as the Dlink. Like 192.168.0.253/24 or something.

Won't he need a crossover cable for that though if the port isn't setup as an auto-sensing uplink?

Won't he need a crossover cable for that though if the port isn't setup as an auto-sensing uplink?

Nah not really. I've done the exact the same thing but in reverse: A D-Link DIR 655 Wireless router connected to some 10/100 Linksys wired router from 2003. Works just fine being hooked up to the LAN ports with a regular ethernet cable.

Don't connect the WAN port of the Linksys to the DLink, that will double-NAT all your wireless traffic. Instead go LAN port to LAN port after making sure the DHCP server is turned OFF on the Linksys. You'll also want to make sure the Linksys has an IP address on the same subnet as the Dlink. Like 192.168.0.253/24 or something.

K i did this but while my ipod connects wirelessly ok i cant get either laptop to do so.. does this setup only allow for a single ip to be given wirelessly?

K i did this but while my ipod connects wirelessly ok i cant get either laptop to do so.. does this setup only allow for a single ip to be given wirelessly?

No it shouldn't. You were going to setup Static IP's though, yes? Are you using any type of wireless security?

ok got it worken for some reasont he wireless router didnt like having the routing turned off and turned it back on.

but its working now i appreciate the help
Ya I got a simple wep turned on for security.

The DGL-4100 has 4x built in gigabit ports for its LAN switch. Part of the gigabit standard is auto MDI-X. As long as 1x of the two ends has gigabit (which it does in this setup)..a regular cable will do. Same goes for gigabit NICs in your PCs ...they'll auto MDI-X. Crossover cables have gone the way of the 9 pin serial port and floppy drive.

The DGL-4100 has 4x built in gigabit ports for its LAN switch. Part of the gigabit standard is auto MDI-X. As long as 1x of the two ends has gigabit (which it does in this setup)..a regular cable will do. Same goes for gigabit NICs in your PCs ...they'll auto MDI-X. Crossover cables have gone the way of the 9 pin serial port and floppy drive.

shows you how much ive had to worry about that in recent years ;)

Back