Wired Network with Wireless Access Point?

CardiaK

Limp Gawd
Sorry for the noob question; but I have a wired home network (Cable Modem -> Wired 4-port Firewall/Router -> My Devices + a Remote 5-port Switch which serves another floor) and I wanted to add wireless without messing with the rest of the house which is wired.

Basically, I'd like to get my Wii, my laptop, my phone, and any guests' wireless devices, to be able to get on the internet via wireless while in my house; while still behind my firewall and obeying the forwarding rules I've set up on my router.

I had an old crappy Microsoft Wireless Router given to me, but my (very) limited skills were unsuccessful in getting that to work as an independent access point on my home network.

I don't necessarily NEED the devices on the wireless to see the wired computers, though that would be nice for my laptop in another room to serve up videos from my server to my TV, or for file transfers to guest computers.

Would something like this work for my purposes? Besides being cheap, it has the benefit of being something I can bring on the road and set up in a hotel room or something.

My biggest concern is whether it will play nice being part of my network, or if it will try and be it's own router and do IP assigning itself. I'd like to still run DHCP from my firewall/router where i have all my forwarding set up.

Otherwise I guess I'll just enter the 21st Century and buy a new wireless router/firewall and set up all my forwarding rules again. :)

I appreciate any insight and advice, and again, apologies for being a network nub.

log into your microsoft wireless router (plug a laptop into it), disable dhcp server, give it an ip outside of the dhcp scope of your wired router, say give it 192.168.1.5, configure the wireless settings, plug a cable from switch into one of hte lan ports on the router

Back