Wired Network adding Wireless

lordroy

Gawd
I have 4 machines connected to a switch, which all can share files with each other via wired NIC. They are all in one workgroup, and have dedicated IPs (192.168.1.1 ... ect)

I have been using this setup for quite some time now.

I just moved, and in the house I moved into they have a wireless network router for internet.

I added Linksys wireless USB adapters to each machine and they all can access the internet when they are unplugged from the switch, but the moment I plug them into the switch they lose the internet from the wireless router.

My question is then, how can I have the machines use the wireless USB adapters to access the internet but still be able to use the switch to share files with each other.

Im not totally noobish, but I must be missing something.

Thanx

How do you have the switch hooked up? Is the switch connected to the router with a cable, or is it completely separate (aka, powered on and just your PC's connect to it via cable)?

The 4 computers are connected to the switch, nothing else.

They can all see each other, share files, ect.

I can't remember where, but I thought you could specify the priority order of the network cards used.

if that's true and is found, your USB adapter should be first with your onboard wired adapter 2nd....I just can't remember where that setting was

I can't remember where, but I thought you could specify the priority order of the network cards used.

if that's true and is found, your USB adapter should be first with your onboard wired adapter 2nd....I just can't remember where that setting was

They each work separately but not together. When I have the wireless adapters accessing the internet, all is good... but the minute I connect the computers to the wired switch I lose internet on that machine.

Basically I use one machine to download stuff (via wireless adapter to wireless router) and then I want to be able to share the files with the other machines (via wired adapter to the wired switch).

All of the machines must have internet at all times and be able to access each other's shared folders via windows shared workgroup.

They each work separately but not together. When I have the wireless adapters accessing the internet, all is good... but the minute I connect the computers to the wired switch I lose internet on that machine.

Basically I use one machine to download stuff (via wireless adapter to wireless router) and then I want to be able to share the files with the other machines (via wired adapter to the wired switch).

All of the machines must have internet at all times and be able to access each other's shared folders via windows shared workgroup.
you are exactly right, the two network cards are not teamed...however, the OS will use one NIC to access web addresses. If you have two NICs plugged in, but the primary NIC the OS uses has no access to the outside world...it will not fail over to the other nic because the primary nic still as a connection.
Now, if you change the priority and promote the wireless NIC as primary, then it will use that connection every time to get to a web address.

Make sure the ip range of the nics on the switch is different than the wireless (different subnet)
make sure there isnt a gateway set on the nics on the switch.

The 4 computers are connected to the switch, nothing else.

They can all see each other, share files, ect.

i dont get this.

you said you have wireless on the machines, so you must have wireless router.

why dont you just plug the machines into that with the cord? so they are on a router and can still share files and still access the internet?

why even have wireless if you can run the wire?

i dont get this.

you said you have wireless on the machines, so you must have wireless router.

why dont you just plug the machines into that with the cord? so they are on a router and can still share files and still access the internet?

why even have wireless if you can run the wire?

The wireless router is downstairs and I cannot run a wire to it, otherwise I would run a patch cable from it to my switch and all would be good.

I changed things up a bit and it seems to be working now.

Thank you everyone

Back