Wired Mesh Wifi Extender?

RPKYGK

Weaksauce
I have a new (to me) Fibre connection at my house. In order to have it I need to use the Bell gateway which is a Sagecom device, they call it the HomeHub 3000. It contains the battery backup and is necessary to access the higher speeds of fibre they sell.

I find the router quite fast withing close range, but on the top floor of the house the signal consistency is horrid. I have my house wired but our laptops don't have Ethernet ports.

My question is there any mesh style extenders that can run the backbone connection over wired instead of wireless? My brief search seemed to indicate no, but I don't know why they wouldn't want the faster and wholly stable cable as an option for the main connection.

I can't move my router for better coverage, the fibre comes in the basement and the connection is internal to the HH3000, so I'm stuck with it in a bad spot.

Thanks
Ryan

If you only have internet and not bells tv service put the home hub into bridge mode and use your own wireless router at one of your wired connections or look into ubiquiti products

If your house is wired, why not just wire a separate access point where you need it?

If your house is wired, why not just wire a separate access point where you need it?
because then he would have different ssid and even if names and passwords were the same there would not be seamless handoffs.

because then he would have different ssid and even if names and passwords were the same there would not be seamless handoffs.
Fair enough. So there's two ways around this.

1. Turn off the wireless in the basement and get something wired that's closer to where the actual wireless devices are. One ssid, etc.

2. Take this to another level by connecting a mesh system to that new access point and hide the access point's ssid so only the mesh system uses it and use the mesh system ssid for everything.

3. (optional solution?) turn off basement wifi and get unify stuff--seamless handoff and great coverage.

Fair enough. So there's two ways around this.

1. Turn off the wireless in the basement and get something wired that's closer to where the actual wireless devices are. One ssid, etc.

2. Take this to another level by connecting a mesh system to that new access point and hide the access point's ssid so only the mesh system uses it and use the mesh system ssid for everything.

3. (optional solution?) turn off basement wifi and get unify stuff--seamless handoff and great coverage.
yup option 3 would be the best and cheapest. He could even use unifi in wall APs snice the op has hardwired runs

Depending on your budget, cloent list and technical know how... https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Mesh_Networking_with_OLSR

Ugh can’t make this just a link, but there’s more details from replies under this question

You can get a few cheap linksys refurbs and set them up with ddwrt. Even true mesh will require reconnection as most devices will hold onto the original ap’s mac. The seamless swap is device dependent is my understanding of mesh.

Thanks for the info. I have tried the bridge mode previously in these Sagecom devices with limited to moderate success. I tried it initially on this one as I had an Asus RT68U but the throughput to the outside was never as good as it was directly through the HH3000. I get about 380 Down and 150 Up and lose 10-15 Down and 50 Up when I bridged it and went through the Asus, which was disappointing.

I'm going to read through a bit of what you've mentioned as I hadn't seen the Unify stuff before.

Well after researching around I found that Bell has released Wifi pods that work with the HH3000. They are actually made by Plume. I ordered the 4 pack and setup was great and wow did it ever expand our network. I put on in the farthest plug in the attached garage, one in the detached and two on the main and top floors of the house (HH3000 is in the basement) and now I get full strength everywhere. Even out in the car I get great coverage. The only caveat is you can only have one network name now, which isn't huge.

I know Plume sells these independently and I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try.

Back