Wired Ethernet Transfer Slowdown - HELP!

SuperG

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I have a question. I was wondering why sometimes file transfers inside my internal network are much slower than usual. Here is my setup. All computers have a 10/100 NIC. I have one main router (4 ports 10/100). My computer is connected directly to that router. Then, from another port on the router, i have a 10/100 full-duplex switch connected. From that switch, I have 3 other computers connected. All cabling is CAT5e. Normal transfers between computer are usually around 7-9 MB/s, which is about 80% of 100 Mbit (which is good). But for some reason, at another time, I try to transfer between the same two computers, and I get like 1 MB/s (not very good). Maybe a couple days later, nothing has changed settings wise, but all of a sudden I get the good 7-9 rate. I just don't get it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SuperG

Do you have any large electrical devices(motors, compressors, etc.) near the network cabling that are in use when you experience the slow transfers?

jpmkm said:
Do you have any large electrical devices(motors, compressors, etc.) near the network cabling that are in use when you experience the slow transfers?

No, pretty much nothing. I am not sure what is causing this.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

SuperG

Make sure there is nothing electrical near the cables that could be causing it. It sounds like you have eliminated that already, but anything electrical might cause that.

Also, reinstall the drivers for the NICs. I once had a problem with a machine where a 3Com 905B was crawling. I reinstalled the drivers and it went back to normal speed.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the switch is having problems. If it gets hot, try to cool it and see if it makes a difference, or change it out all together with a different switch.

Actually, the problem turned out to be the switch (at least this time). For some reason, the switch had connected all computers at 10, not 10/100. Since my computer was going directly to the router, it was at 100, but the switch connects the other comps in the house, and they were apparently all connected only at 10. I had to goto the attic and reboot the switch. Then all was back to 100. I wonder why that happened. I mean, it is hot up there, but that is a wierd problem to occur for being hot (changing from 10/100 to 10 on all ports?). I have the linksys 4 port auto sensing switch FYI. I wish there was a way to fix it, instead of having to crawl up into the attic and reboot the switch when this happens. But thanks for the suggestions guys.

SuperG

SuperG said:
Actually, the problem turned out to be the switch (at least this time). For some reason, the switch had connected all computers at 10, not 10/100. Since my computer was going directly to the router, it was at 100, but the switch connects the other comps in the house, and they were apparently all connected only at 10. I had to goto the attic and reboot the switch. Then all was back to 100. I wonder why that happened. I mean, it is hot up there, but that is a wierd problem to occur for being hot (changing from 10/100 to 10 on all ports?). I have the linksys 4 port auto sensing switch FYI. I wish there was a way to fix it, instead of having to crawl up into the attic and reboot the switch when this happens. But thanks for the suggestions guys.

SuperG

Sometimes the auto configure doesn't work right. You can force the cards to always run 100MB FD under the properties of the network card and avoid that.

Back