Wired connection not working after wireless is installed

bl00dsh0t

Weaksauce
well im a college kid so i took my desktop home for xmas break and installed a wireless pci adapter (linksys) to go with my already set up wireless router. the wireless worked fine but when i brought my desktop back today and hooked it into the network i get a connection but it doesnt receive packets. i checked the ip and default gateway, etc. and it is using an ip off 192.168.0.X and the default gateway is 192.168.0.1 which is incorrect because i checked on my roommates computer. any ideas of how i can get rid of the wireless stuff that is making it connect with those configurations? any help would be appreciated.

You should just need to enable your existing wired card to pick up an IP via DHCP. You should also see both adapters if they are still in your machine when doing an ipconfig from the command line, if your not, you probably need to re-install the drivers for your wired NIC.

well i have the wired one enabled and when i do ip config i see it listed. i tried taking out my wireless card but that didnt fix it. it just seems that its picking up the wrong ip address through dhcp. the subnet mask is even 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0.

try ipconfig /release then a /renew and see if it picks up a fresh address from the college network? If this is win xp look at the properties of your main adapter(not the linksys) and make sure TCP/IP is enabled and is set to dhcp. Just a thought.

Back