Wipe Off Your Picture

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

As any discerning [H]'er knows, we always wipe the fingerprints off the gun and leave it at the scene of the crime. You never want to put yourself in the situation of actually being in possession of a firearm used in a crime. "Dad, why did Tony Soprano throw the pistol down on the ground, by the body?" Exactly. The University of Buffalo is now saying that it can "barrel match" pictures to a specific phone. No kidding. Never send a "sensitive" picture without scrubbing it first. You guys know what I am talking about. Anyway, as long as pics are being saved as JPEGs, the guys in Buffalo are wasting their time. Rookie mistake territory.

Old Skewl [H]ot Chick Picture.

The protocol defeats three of the most common tactics used by cybercriminals: fingerprint forgery attacks, man-in-the-middle attacks and replay attacks. It was 99.5 percent accurate in tests involving 16,000 images and 30 different iPhone 6s smartphones and 10 different Galaxy Note 5s smartphones.

I have not been caught with a sidearm or rifle yet, damn sure not gonna get caught with a phone. Can you imagine having to throw away your phone after every dick pick? That is going to get expensive. Guess I better head to Walmart and get a prepaid flip. Honestly, I did not read the article...

2. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 Gawd

I too did not read the article and want Asia on the news

Josephrr, Endgame and LGZdarkside like this.
  3. raz-0

raz-0 [H]ardness Supreme

summary:

high pixel count sensors have a lot of dim, overbright, and dead pixels/subpixels. The camera maps these out so you don't see them. If you get access to the raw sensor data, or less ideally the unfiltered portion of sensor noise, you can use them to identify the specific camera generating the pattern, so you cna potentially use your phone as unique identifier 99.5% of the time.

Wrecked Em and Guarana [BAWLS] like this.
  4. jojo69

jojo69 [H]ardForum Junkie

"just wanted Asia on the news page."

god dammed right!

5. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

I seen the picture on the front page.

Boobs. I couldn't take them away. They also had the [H] logo which made them irresistible.

I don't even know what this article is remotely about.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  6. Dullard

Dullard 2[H]4U

Phones come with macro lenses?

Wrecked Em and Patton187 like this.
  7. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

More like summary:

Forensics will now have even more shit to confuse a group of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty on whether or not someone is a criminal.

Seriously even people are smart and are on a jury will probably be thinking "WTF? Are they serious?" when given "evidence"

8. 1_rick

1_rick Limp Gawd

I guess the guys writing that article didn't know that you can't reliably tie a fired bullet to a gun, which kind of ruins their analogy.

The article talks in terms of verifying an image came from a particular phone by sending someone a test image first. People are probably worried about going the other way, being able to link a photo back to a phone. Based on the description of the technique, a filter that applied noise to the pixels in pictures would probably prevent this from working.

9. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

I don't either. I have been up for about 29 hours and am just going to have fun from here out. FRIDAY!

10. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

Hell Yeah!

11. otherweeb

otherweeb Gawd

I totally forgot Asia Carrera was [H]ard

12. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

13. Crimson

Crimson Gawd

14. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

There was an article? Huh, totally missed that.