WinXP x64 Boot

tacos4me

Gawd
What the hell is up with this.. loading bar? It takes 20-30 seconds to do whatever it is that it's doing, and then it goes on loading Windows normally. I just reformatted with x64, and I like it quite a bit. But if it's going to take me 40 seconds to even get IN Windows, then I'm going back to Professional.

I tested x64 out on the Same machine a week ago on and old 30gb Maxtor, and it did Not do this.

attachment6wn.jpg

Maybe something is corrupt and x64 is checking something. I don't get that and x64 is the only OS i have on my desktop.

edit: Look in the event logs for any problems.

yeah doesn't do that for me... boots very fast...

check your disk/dvd drivers...

mine boots slow because I have folding at home , avast, and spywareguard set to start at boot up ..so you might have a proggy causing the slowness

..also sometimes network connections can cause slow boot up if it cant find something its supposed to talk to

[F]old|[H]ard

Thanks for the input. I fixed it. Checked the event log, and noticed a few errors from the source "DCOM" around the times I had rebooted.

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application.

Went into Administrative Tools>Component Services>Computers, right clicked "My Computer">Properties. In the properties under "Default Properties", un-check "Enable Distributed COM on this computer". Seems to work fine now, hopefully this will help someone else. :)

good job , the event viewer is a great tool for trouble shooting of which most peeps dont think to look at (including myself now that I have been using Linux mostly)
:)

Back