winxp sp3 + .net frameworks?

TBJ

Gawd
I had a corrupted file system so I reinstalled winxp sp3, doing all required updates and last thing on the list is .NET framework. I'd like to know what is included with sp3 (if any) and if anything is required for general/gaming use which should I have installed before I back up system drive?

I've tried searching the forums but nothing came up.

Your best bet is to just installed .Net 3.5 SP1. That should cover 90% of whats out there, since it's backwards compatible (the install actually installs the previous versions) and not much uses 4+ yet.

The plus side is that anything requiring it will most likely install it for you when you go to re-install your applications.

Can you rephrase your question? You just re-installed SP3, but you want to know what part of SP3 you should install?

Service packs have nothing to do with what games/activities you do on the computer, they're just a compilation of KBs that were issued to address vulnerabilities, compatibilities, etc. You really don't need any updates to play games, just leaves your computer exposed to one-day exploits that were patched. Don't forget to install your flash, shockwave, etc if you're doing the web browser games and such.

Oh, don't forget driver updates too. :)

Yeah, just install the .NET update if it's a security patch. If it turns out that you need a particular .NET runtime for some program, you can always install it later. It's not a requirement.

Back