winXP SP2 not recognising USB devices after PC idle

nismohks

Limp Gawd
I have a toshiba laptop which runs WinXP SP2 with latest drivers and has worked fine for the past 2 years since we got it, and even with WinXP SP2 installed. However ever since last week once the PC camoes back on from a screensaver after it has been idling for around 30mins or so, the usb devices attached to it can not be recognised anymore.

winxp says that the usb device conencted to the USB HUB device(basically just the M/B) can't be detected. This includes all devices, such as mice, usb Flash drives etc and nothing short of a restart or deleting all usb device hubs in device manager and reinstalling them again from scan for hardware changes fixes it. ANy idea?

Is there a particular service which controls this stuff? i am sure its not a laptop poewr saving thing since it is runing on full power profile with everythign maxed

I think I may be experiencing the same or a similar thing on my comp (not a laptop - see signature).

I find that every now and then, once in a while (probably once a week) my bluetooth USB dongle will not be working and will no longer be listed in the device manager. Removing the dongle and then putting it back in will resolve it. Or a reboot.

I haven't noticed whether or not it occurs after the PC has been idling for a while, but now you've mentioned it, I'll take note next time the problem occurs and report back. ;)

I would try disabling the harddisks from spinning down. It's in power management.

i found out today that my 4 usb ports are not detecting any hardware. I dont know when that hapened, restart computer didnt solve the problem, so i had to uninstall the usb from device manager and restart so it detected the usb and then i could use my devices.

i am using xpsp2

Back