WinXP Search Shortcut direct to "All files and Folders"

Bullitt

2[H]4U
Does anyone know a tweak/commandline shortcut to windows explorer to bypass the "search companion?"

I don't mean to turn off the little puppy-dog thing, but I was curious if there was a means to open a search and have it directly pull up the "all files and folders" instead of having to click it.

I know that sounds very trivial, but it would save an hour a day (no... not kidding).

Pigster, thanks but I work in a corp environment and I can't install apps :\

I'm bound to whatever is built into XP Pro. Keep the suggestions coming :D

This script will do what you want. Just create a shortcut with "wscript.exe searchopen.vbs" as the target. Change searchopen.vbs to whatever path/filename you set it to (e.g. "wscript.exe c:\searchopen.vbs"). It's probably best to bind some key to the shortcut.

Code:
set ff = createobject("Shell.Application")
set shell = createobject("wscript.shell")

ff.FindFiles
wscript.sleep 2500
shell.SendKeys "%l",true

You may have to play around with the timings in ms for the sleep command. I don't know if this will really save much time. It takes at least 2.5 seconds to pop up the find all files options, and is only one less key press: WindowsKey-F then Alt-L vs a click or hotkey for the script. :p

edit: Nevermind above about 2.5s. After I turned off the search assistant, I could change the sleep down to 200ms. That's fast enough.

Open the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe)
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState
Go to Edit | New | String Value
Name the new value Use Search Asst
Double-click the new value, type no in the Value Data text box, and click OK
Close the Registry Editor, and restart the system

That will kill the search assitant and go back to the past or future, or whatever I'm confused.

defuseme2k said:
Close the Registry Editor, and restart the system

That will kill the search assitant and go back to the past or future, or whatever I'm confused.
You can turn off the search assistant by right clicking it, no reboot necessary. ;)

pxc said:
This script will do what you want. Just create a shortcut with "wscript.exe searchopen.vbs" as the target. Change searchopen.vbs to whatever path/filename you set it to (e.g. "wscript.exe c:\searchopen.vbs"). It's probably best to bind some key to the shortcut.

Friggin fantastic!

pxc I was sooo excited to show off this little gem of a script...

Until:

Me: Check it out, someone showed me a script to search the engineering documentation quicker
co-worker: Huh? well thats neat, but mine already does that.
me: ???
co-worker: yeah, watch this, its just a setting you have to change in the toolbar.. lemme find it.
me: shit...

Sure enough, bring up the search assistant -> Click "change preferences" - > "Change File and Folders search behaviour -> click "Advanced ...... " -> click OK.

Back