WinXP Pro Upgrade

The Hunter

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to upgrade to Windows XP Pro, and the cheapest way I can get it is an Upgrade version through my school. The only legit MS OS I still have disks/keys for that qualifies for an upgrade is 98SE, but my problem is that it's not a retail version, but the version that came with an old Dell. Will the upgrade version work with the Dell branded OEM version, or am I stuck and have to pay for the full version?

It should work just fine. Wipe the drive clean and start the install from booting from the XP disc. It will prompt you along the way to insert your Dell disc, and then it will continue with the XP install.

Only if the Dell disk is an actual OS disk and not a "restore CD". I'm not sure if it'll read restore CDs, but legally you'd still qualify.

Thanks for the replies. The CD is labeled Dell Product Recovery CD, with Windows 98 Second Edition in smaller letters underneath, and dell branded. I know that it does restore the system to the way it came originally, Dell software and all, not just a clean copy of Windows.

Anyone tried this, and know what will happen? I don't really feel like spending more than a hundred bucks just to have it not work.

Back