WinXP Pro - Cannot Ping anything but localhost

Asgorath

[H]ard|Gawd
One of my clients has a WinXP Pro x32 machine based on the nForce2 chipset (asus board) and using the onboard nvidia networking (without the crappy nvidia firewall).

The network card can get an IP (192.168.1.3) from my fios router.
I can ping localhost
I cannot ping the router
I cannot ping the internet
I cannot do a dnslookup

I've tried:

* Uninstalling WinXP SP3
* Uninstalling/ Reinstalling the nvidia networking software
* Uninstalling the nvidia networking software. Disabling the nvidia networking in bios. Installing an intel 10/100 card.
* Same as above but a 3com card
* Running SFC /scannow and using a WinXP Pro x32 SP2 install CD
* Resetting the TCP/IP stack: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
* Tried the above two with both the intel card and the nvidia onboard networking.

I'm tempted to do a windows repair install, but I hate doing those because they always screw something up.

What do you guys think I should try?

There was a patch that added nac support for windows xp. It added a whole bunch of stuff to the ip stack. It was installed when I went to SP3, except it didn't copy all the files. I forget what they are off the top of my head, but I had similar problems. I copied the missing files from another system and it worked.

can you ping it's IP address? 127.0.0.1 is the loopback, so you would be able to ping it even if you unplugged the network cable or even had the LAC disabled.

firewall of some sort that got overly aggressive? I've seen Norton Internet Security cause that, even the McAfee Security Suite.

If you can't ping your own IP address or the router...
try and run winsock fix.

From experience I can say, you can keep messing with it wasting who knows how much time for something you may never fix, or you can reformat and have a clean system that performs faster. Make sure and slip stream SP3.

Back