WinXP Partition & Backup/Image - OS to its own: general questions.

Alright, so I do up THIS THREAD on how to setup a partition, now I've gone off to read some other stuff and wholly confused myself. I've ended up with some miscellaneous questions about setting WinXP to its own partition:

1. 'My Documents' folder, separate of the OS partition: I don't understand, how is this done? Are people just referring to manually moving things over as part of a regular backup or is there some setting where you can choose where (which HDD) WinXP sets up user accounts and 'My Documents'? Most programs default to save works at 'My Documents' manually shuffling to another directory on a separate partition every time would be a chore so I must be missing something. I'm referring to the 'C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\My Documents' directory.
1a. What's so great about the My Docs folder anyway, isn't it just some generally accepted default place for Win applications to save your work in?
2. How does one 'backup' the OS? What is meant by this and what can be backed up? I've read people mentioning burning the OS partition off to a DVD weekly, how would you recover from this and wouldn't it disturb all installed software?
3. How does one 'image' the OS? (#2,etc) What the difference and software used?
4. How do I set this up now for an easy OS reinstall later?
5. I would want to install software one the same partition as the OS right, data on another?
6. How do things like audio and video drivers work once installed, I mean, how do I include then into an easy OS restore?
7. Generally should I be okay with splitting a 80GB drive 40/40 while keeping the OS and installed apps on one, and the other for data?

I think I keep confusing myself going back and forth on this, I just need to be directed through a decent rundown of how this all works.

I just recovered from a drive failure, currently I'm on a single WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB drive (WD800JB) and I'm planning on picking up another drive, most likely a 250GB SATA Hitachi Deskstar (cheap and decent all around it seems). So I imagine I'll leave my WD 80GB drive to the OS, but I'm wondering how things like installed apps and video and sound drivers will/should work, I'd rather not go through setting up the machine now only to have to reinstall and re-setup everything once I have the second drive to work with. Outside of installing office applications, language learning and net software etc., I'll be putting music and video on the second drive.
/Thanks, much appreciated.

peace,

Back