WinXP on a SSD ok?

MrGreg62

Lurker
I have a kodak photo printer that will not work on any OS newer than XP or 2K so I need to instal xp on an older machine with a small 40 GB intel ssd installed. Other than not having any trim support is there any reason not to instal to it?
I would just junk the printer but this is a dedicated photo printer out of a picture kiosk so I want to make use of it.

I don't think there'll be any problems. If you're worried you can always run the XP as a virtual image or even better, try running the printer with linux. Often linux can support older hardware without having to have a nightmare-for-security XP installed.

I don't think there'll be any problems. If you're worried you can always run the XP as a virtual image or even better, try running the printer with linux. Often linux can support older hardware without having to have a nightmare-for-security XP installed.

VM won't work as the host can't see the printer, at least that is what I gathered when I tried to get mine to work.

I have an older Alienware laptop with XP on it that I plan on using to finish up my supplies.
I am assuming you have this printer,
kodak7.jpg

I have 3 boxes of paper and ribbons left,
epson1280.jpg

I've used a 128 GB Plextor SSD with XP for like 2 years or so with no ill effects, remaining life was 100% or 99% - can't remember.
However XP is agnostic when it comes to SSDs, so you need to manually disable defragmentation.
You shouldn't need any special drivers or anything, it should just work. And it will be quick.

VM won't work as the host can't see the printer, at least that is what I gathered when I tried to get mine to work.

That's not correct. You can forward or share any printer to any VM to use. https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-do-i-print-out-of-virtualbox

If you mean that the host won't detect the printer at all, you need to forward the USB/serial port and then XP will pick it up.

Of course best way is to try using linux and forget messing with ancient microsoft OSes.

Last edited:
That's not correct. You can forward or share any printer to any VM to use. https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-do-i-print-out-of-virtualbox

If you mean that the host won't detect the printer at all, you need to forward the USB/serial port and then XP will pick it up.

Of course best way is to try using linux and forget messing with ancient microsoft OSes.

When plugged into a Windows 7 or higher machine, all you get is unrecognized device in device manager since there are no drivers for any OS higher than XP.

Are you saying you can have XP in a VM recognize the device by forwarding that particular USB port to the VM even though the host has the device listed as an unknown device?

The biggest issue trying to get it working on any OS other than 2K or XP is that there are no other drivers available and it connects via an old adaptec SCSI card not USB or a parallel port. The printer in question is a Kodak 6400 photo printer that outputs 4x6 photos.

The biggest issue trying to get it working on any OS other than 2K or XP is that there are no other drivers available and it connects via an old adaptec SCSI card not USB or a parallel port. The printer in question is a Kodak 6400 photo printer that outputs 4x6 photos.
Oh, you have the smaller one. Mine is the larger 8.5x12 with a usb and parallel port.

I just looked at the 6400, it looks just like our Shinko printer.
I wonder if Shinko bought out Kodak's dye sub technology?

onsite-shinko.jpg

Yes. It be fine. But getting the Leet to acknowledge you..

When plugged into a Windows 7 or higher machine, all you get is unrecognized device in device manager since there are no drivers for any OS higher than XP.

Are you saying you can have XP in a VM recognize the device by forwarding that particular USB port to the VM even though the host has the device listed as an unknown device?

Yes it SHOULD at least. All it does is forward the USB and XP will sniff the device from it. Kind of like you handing a Chinese book to a Chinaman. You don't understand it but he does.

Yes it SHOULD at least. All it does is forward the USB and XP will sniff the device from it. Kind of like you handing a Chinese book to a Chinaman. You don't understand it but he does.

Ya, what if I don't know what I have in my hand? What do I do with it, who do I give it to, and why would I give it away?? That is the problem.

I'll reload XP in a VM and give it a shot again and see if I can get it to communicate.

Ya, what if I don't know what I have in my hand? What do I do with it, who do I give it to, and why would I give it away?? That is the problem.

You don't need to know what's in your hand because you have the USB tube you throw everything you get in your hands to. You're not even interested what passes through your hands.

Kind of like using Tor or trading BTC. You're a peer to pass on all sorts of pedophile and criminal activity. You're essentially aiding in crime but your Tor client doesn't look or care. It just hands over the package.

I've always thought the Host needed to have a device properly installed before making it available to Guests. I don't use VirtualBox, as I'm fully entrenched in the VMWare world. It would be nice if this worked, but I've never been able to or have found valid instructions for doing so.

I've always thought the Host needed to have a device properly installed before making it available to Guests. I don't use VirtualBox, as I'm fully entrenched in the VMWare world. It would be nice if this worked, but I've never been able to or have found valid instructions for doing so.

I did read this last night, it's for VMware Workstation 4.5, I have version 12, so maybe the feature still works.
"When a virtual machine is running, its window is the active window and a USB device is plugged into the host computer, the device automatically connects to the guest instead of the host.
This autoconnect feature can be disabled in the USB Controller panel of the virtual machine settings editor (VM > Settings)."

https://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/doc/devices_usb_ws.html

Well XP is installed without any issues. Now I just have to configure the ports.

MrGreg62

How much supplies do you have left? Just wondering as supplies for my 8500 have gotten kinda pricey on eBay.

A standard SATA interface SSD will work fine on XP.
NVMe on the other hand - probably won't, as drivers don't seem to exist - it's hard enough getting NVMe to work as a boot drive under 7 much less anything older.

A standard SATA interface SSD will work fine on XP.
NVMe on the other hand - probably won't, as drivers don't seem to exist - it's hard enough getting NVMe to work as a boot drive under 7 much less anything older.

I tried VERY hard to get W7 installed on my NVMe ssd. I spent days on it. I just gave up and accepted that its probably not going to happen.

I ended up installing to a HD first, installed the NVMe and drivers, then used LINUX "dd" to copy the installation to the NVMe drive.
In theory, you should be able to put the NVMe drivers on a USB key and install them from that during Win7 installation process, but I didn't have a USB key available at the time.

A bit of a bump, but we had a similar situation. What worked well for us was a xp embedded thin client. Once we had the driver for the printer installed and the printer shared on the network, you can lock it down tight with the write filters and it's just a toaster. Bonus is that it sips power. (y)

I tried VERY hard to get W7 installed on my NVMe ssd. I spent days on it. I just gave up and accepted that its probably not going to happen.
You have to make a bootable image with the hotfixes pertaining to NVME support integrated, I had some trials and tribulations with that too.

You have to make a bootable image with the hotfixes pertaining to NVME support integrated, I had some trials and tribulations with that too.

Also installing it to another drive and then cloning to the NVMe ssd works too. I ended up doing it this way.

Back