winxp network sharing

manwe42

Weaksauce
ok ive got a WINXPhome box and a WIN2k box, the Winxp box is connected to comcast cable (my modem\dhcp will not give out a 2nd IP addy so i cant go modem>router>computers). so im trying to share my connection. winxp will not allow me to share the connection. the option isnt even there. i also cannot access the home networking wizard.
has some service been disabled? or do i need to configure my firewall a certain way? (winxp firewall).
any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Here is a great tutorial to get it up and running (you said that you didn't have an option to enable ICS, but this will lead you step by step):

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Edit: Even with only 1 public IP from your ISP, you can still put a router between the cable modem and the rest of your network. Routers use Network Address Translation (NAT) to allow for many computers to be masked behind a single public IP.

You don't need a second IP. That is what the router is for. It gets the WAN IP and your local machine's get NAT'd local IP's. I guess you could have a modem that act's as a router. In that case you wouldn't need the router. The modem would give local IP's. That's possible but more than likely you'll need the router. No need to use ICS.

Back