[WinXP] Disk Management errors out

nessus

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 30, 2001
Messages
2,221
A little detail on your drive configuration and what is attached to USB or firewire connections might be helpful. If nothing is attached, does it work in safe mode?
 

ashrack

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Messages
145
NESSUS
I dont have a USB I have just pointed to a thread that Im not the only on getting this error with DISK MANAGEMENT.
And yes, it does work in SAFE MODE
 

Wolf-R1

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
2,005
OldMX said:
Did you disable the "Server" service?

oldmx
The Server service wouldn't be an issue here. That particular service only handles outbound network traffic, responses to incoming requests for Windows Networking traffic. It has nothing to do with hard disk access.
 

ashrack

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Messages
145
Tried it and it starts perfectly but it still doesnt work.
I find this very strange since in safe mode I have no problems with DiskManagement.
 

nessus

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 30, 2001
Messages
2,221
Since it works in safe mode, your best bet is to try removing the items in normal mode to the best approximation of safe mode you can make in regular mode.

If it works at that point begin adding items back until you lose functionality. Then you have identified your culprit. Of course, part of safe mode is limiting DCOM to MS only OS items...

I ened up having s imilar issue with DCOM that was keeping my backups from working as the volume shadow copy service couldn't initialize. Turned out to be caused by installing an old graphics software program, Micrografx Picture Publisher 10. It hooked into DCOM in a way that was not allowed under XP SP2. I installed a patch for the software, and my problem was resolved.

You don't even want to know how long it took me to find it. Or what I ended up going through...

Several months of looking at it occasionally for a few hours each week, I finally bit the bullet.

I ended up installing a new copy of XP on a second drive, then installing everything in my regular build 3 apps at a time until it broke, then removing those one at a time until it started working again. You could have floored me when I uninstalled a graphics app and my backups started working again.

I was lucky to find the patch as the app had been sold twice, and the latest owner no longer hosted the patches. I found an individual still hosting the patches. There was no documentation in the patch about it addressing anything like the issue I was experiencing, but it resolved it. Wrote the guy hosting the patches a very heartfelt thank you note.
 
Top