WinXP: any way to fix the 6-month sluggishness?

MetalDwarf

[H]ard|Gawd
ya know how windows is so nice and fast when you do a fresh install. it boots fast programs open fast it doesn't randomly just start grinding the hard drive for no reason. then after about 6 months or so, its slow sluggish and just sucks. normally at this time i would just reinstall windows and back back to speedy town. But this has now become a problem on my work computer. It would be a nightmare to try and reinstall windows on this, and better yet i would have to do it on my own time and not get paid for it.

So my question to you, are any of these "registry cleaner", pc tuneup software packages any good? can they fix the malaze and bloat that builds up over time.

I do a good job of trimming anything from my startup and msconfig, but the bloat just seems to grow and grow no matter what.

RegScrubXP will do a good job of cleaning the registry. Aside from that, just making sure it's malware-free, defragged, and latest drivers installed should keep it running nearly as fast as a fresh install.

Cleaning the registry does little to nothing in actual performance. The things that will help speed up your computer is getting rid of not needed startup programs, defragging the hard drive, and of course, making sure there is no malware.

I wonder what horrible things people are doing to their systems to make them "slow" after 6 months.

nightly defrag + avg + spybot + ad aware = same speed as the first day i owned the machine, 18 months ago.

Remove unnecessary startup programs and get another gig of ram if you run it only with 1 gigs.

I wonder what horrible things people are doing to their systems to make them "slow" after 6 months.

nightly defrag + avg + spybot + ad aware = same speed as the first day i owned the machine, 18 months ago.

O&O defrag in the background and at boot + Kaspersky AV (AVG SUCKS) + spybot S&D + Adaware = bloats to hell in 6 months

Cleaning the registry does little to nothing in actual performance. The things that will help speed up your computer is getting rid of not needed startup programs, defragging the hard drive, and of course, making sure there is no malware.

ive trimmed everything i dont need from msconfig, been doing that for years, i find that windows just gets slow after a few months of use. things like boot time, time it takes to start apps, opening windows and even stuff as simple as opening "my computer" seems to take a few seconds to do when it was instant when the OS was fresh.

what i did was install windows xp ,then download the thousand or so updates, and then installed all my essential software and then used norton ghost to make a disc image back-up file. I store all my pics, video,documents, downloads and everything else on a seperate harddrive. so when windows gets sluggish or corrupt or whatever i can use the disc image file and norton ghost to formatt the drive and reinstall windows in about 10 minutes and whats great is you can already have it configured for networking and sharing a printer or whatever and if you only have 1 harddrive you can use partition magic to create a partition to store your stuff and your ghost file, works great and in the meantime between ACE utilities is a great program , try it , it has a free 30 day trial after that you got to buy it

CCleaner + delete prefetch files + reboot+ defrag does wonders :D

This post made me realize how nice Vista is in this respect. It feels faster than it was 6-8 months ago, soon after I installed. All without really having to do a thing.

Back