WinXP 32 vs 64bit, SP updates.

sfsuphysics

[H]F Junkie
Ok threw a new system together for my BIL, and there was no talking him into actually paying for Win7, and I think he's a lazy bastard who wants to live with XP because he's used to it.

Luckily I had 32 (his old system) and 64bit(my old system, defunct) versions of XP. Now I threw 8gigs in the machine because why the fuck not, its 2012 FFS, and I know that I need 64bit to actually use it. However it's been so damn long since I used it I didn't realize they never made a SP3 for the 64bit version. Now my question is what exactly does that do for games that NEED SP3 for XP? GTA4 comes to mind.

Now he likes to play older games mostly, but I'm tempted to try and find a student copy of Win7 and just sticking it on their regardless of what he wants. Hell I got my version for $30 :D

XP64 can/will have compatibility issues with apps due to it being based on the Server 2003 kernel, not XP kernel.

Games/programs like that would probably recognize the OS as Server 2003 anyway, since they share the same codebase and version number (XP is 5.1, Server 2003/XP x64 is 5.2).

Hmmm so you're saying I should force the issue and toss Win7 on there.

Or screw it, and let him deal with his issues. :D

that's up to you.
there are a few folks that game on XP 64, but I sure's in hell wouldn't want to deal with it.
It was really meant as more of a true workstation OS than standard home user OS.

if he wants xp theres not much of a choice but to run 3ish gigs on 32bit
everything else will be mostly janky - drivers and all that

Hmmm Win7 locks to the hardware doesn't it? I know a buddy who had a.. lets say destroyed through stupidity... laptop which had win7 on it.

OEM windows is supposed to stay with the hardware. Retail copies are allowed to be moved between hardware though if you do it too often you will have to call up and explain yourself to the activation support line.

OEM windows comes into two subcategories "system builder" (small local PC shops, the "OEM" copies you buy from newegg and the like) and "royalty OEM" (bigger brands that can afford the logistics of a customised BIOS.

"System builder" versions activate in the same way as retail ones and afaict they can in practice (not that i've tried myself) be moved between hardware as long as you either don't do it too often or are capable of lying convincingly to the activation support line.

With "royalty OEM" versions things get more complicated. The original install uses a special key (not the same as the key on the COA sticker) which doesn't require activation in the normal way but does require a special certificate to be installed and a corresponding key in the BIOS. There is also a conventional key on the COA sticker but I think attempting to activate with it will always demand telephone activation. With the right lies it may still be possible to get MS to activate it on other hardware but again I have no personal experiance.

Ok threw a new system together for my BIL, and there was no talking him into actually paying for Win7, and I think he's a lazy bastard who wants to live with XP because he's used to it.

Luckily I had 32 (his old system) and 64bit(my old system, defunct) versions of XP. Now I threw 8gigs in the machine because why the fuck not, its 2012 FFS, and I know that I need 64bit to actually use it. However it's been so damn long since I used it I didn't realize they never made a SP3 for the 64bit version. Now my question is what exactly does that do for games that NEED SP3 for XP? GTA4 comes to mind.

Now he likes to play older games mostly, but I'm tempted to try and find a student copy of Win7 and just sticking it on their regardless of what he wants. Hell I got my version for $30 :D
Do not use XP x64 on an every day computer unless you're willing to deal with software incompatibilities. Vista/7 x64 is significantly more compatible with software than XPx64.

Put XP 32 on there. It's his computer, why are you taking it so personal he doesn't want 7? If you think you're right then just walk away thinking your right instead of trolling him.

Put XP 32 on there. It's his computer, why are you taking it so personal he doesn't want 7? If you think you're right then just walk away thinking your right instead of trolling him.
Well I did build the system for him, and part of me feels its an incredibly huge waste to put a 32 bit OS there considering I did put 8gigs of ram into the thing.

Either way it's a non-issue. Win7 is on there, and I'll deal with the activation woes come Monday. He's really not a big computer person, other than wanting to play games, the reason why I'm doing this is because his sister (my wife) asked me to. Now I get to dislike her now too :) Plus I was asked to put all the software on there because he's got DirecTV internet or some shit with a cap and apparently its shit slow... and well I live in civilization and don't. That said he has his copy of WinXP if he doesn't like Win7 he can always re-install it himself.

first rule about computer club... you don't talk about computer club! Ok seriously, tech support for family = the suck!

Hmmm Win7 locks to the hardware doesn't it? I know a buddy who had a.. lets say destroyed through stupidity... laptop which had win7 on it.

If you mean the license those laptops use a SLIC activation so the keys only work on a machine with a matching SLIC in the bios so they are sorta locked to the hardware. They also can be activated by having a certificate that matches the slic info. This is how OEMs like HP and Dell deploy images across a large number of machines,

Last edited:
My parents, my inlaws... they said "I want a computer" I said Ok let me deal with it, bought them Dells, for what they needed it for it was good enough, I pointed out the phone number for them to call tech support with. If it wasn't for the Thailand HD price-fixing scandal, I would have went that direction as well for my brother in law.

Although, a 2GB upgrade of ram would have cost $60... seriously..> WTF.

Anyways, its all dealt with, I do appreciate the help, if anything saved potential future headaches on installing the 64bit version of "WinXP"

I was using xp x64 for years and i never had problems with any software other than itunes which you can use a hack and the latest adobe photoshop which requires windows 7/vista to run.

Back