Wintv-pvr 150 Mce???

vat

Limp Gawd
I am thinking about purchasing the Wintv-pvr 150 Mce but I couldn't find any reviews. So I was wondering if any of the members in here know anything about this TV Tuner. Thanks

It's pretty much the standard in pvr cards for standard def tv. I would reccomend it easily, or the 500 if you need 2 tuners. The Ati Theater 550 cards are it's only competition but I'd probably stick with the 150mce over that.

Overall, solid card, fairly well supported, cheap, and lots of people use them.

it is the card that sets the standard right now. the 550 is promising, but driver supprot is worse than ATI's normal bad.

Wow, thank you for the fast replies. But between these four cards, which one would you guy pick?

1. ATI TECHNOLOGIES - TV WONDER ELITE Tuner Card - Remote Control Edition

2. VISIONTEK - XTASY Theater 550 Pro 16 MB PCI TV Tuner Card with Remote Control

3. HAUPPAUGE - WinTV-PVR-150 Personal Video Recorder (1045)

4. HAUPPAUGE - WinTV-PVR-150 Personal Video Recorder Kit with NTSC TV Tuner (1062)

Whatever you pick, how is the performance better than the rest? Is it really worth the price? Thanks

Do you have links to where you found those? The first 2 are bassically the same, and I'm assuming the second two are equivalent as well. But, I'd like to look into what makes the different. I bet CrimandEvil knows though so I might just wait for that post ;)

1. tv wonder driver support is almost nonexistant. avoid it if possible

2. if this is the ATI based chip, ATI has come out and said they will not officially support any PVr other than MCE. some other apps say they support it, but you might run into problems

3. & 4, I am not sure the difference. post links of the cards you are thinking about here.

I heard the remote on Hauppauge 1045 sucks ass though. So it's best for me to get the Hauppauge 1062?

djskankho said:
Do you have links to where you found those? The first 2 are bassically the same, and I'm assuming the second two are equivalent as well. But, I'd like to look into what makes the different. I bet CrimandEvil knows though so I might just wait for that post ;)
Huappauge has started selling retail PVR150 MCEs as a "Media Center Kit" edition and it comes with a custom MCE compatiable remote with a single IR blaster (for comparison the MCE remote can handle two IR blasters) and it is model 1062.

The standard PVR150 doesn't come with an MCE compatiable remote and is model 1045. The regular PVR 150 MCE is 1042 and is boxed like an OEM part meaning it comes in just a white box.

It looks like Hauppauge is selling the new remote along with the PVR500 and USB tuner as well.
http://www.hauppauge.com/images/pvr150mce_board+mceremote_small.jpg
http://www.hauppauge.com/images/mce_remote_w_beanbag_small.jpg
http://www.hauppauge.com/images/pvr500mcekit_w_remote.jpg
http://www.hauppauge.com/images/pvrusb2_unit+remote-small.jpg

It looks pretty interesting, I would love to pick up one of the new tuners with it.

Oh and yes the first two (the VisionTek and ATI cards) are based on the exact same chip making the only really difference between them in the bundle software and whos name is on the box. But I can't remember whether or not the bundled remotes will work with MCE, I think one of the 550 based cards has one but I can't remember which one.

What if the computer that the Hauppauge WinTv-PVR 150 MCE is going to be installed in does not run Windows Media Centre Edition.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, but I'm running, and plan on continuing to run Windows XP Home edition. What are my options then?

It does not require MCE. I am using the MCE oem cards in my windows XP pro box and using sageTV.

IDversusEGO said:
It does not require MCE. I am using the MCE oem cards in my windows XP pro box and using sageTV.

Same here, except im using the pvr-500 (which also "requires" mce)

As stated you don't need MCE to use an MCE card. The "MCE" moniker is there because those cards are meant for use in an MCE machine because:
1.) They have no remote since it's assumed you'll be using the MCE remote.
2.) They have A/V inputs making it easier to connect an STB.
3.) They have FM.

Thats it, nothing really different between the non MCE and MCE cards other then that.

Just so you know you don't need MCE to use things like the MCE remote or keyboard either. ;) And MCE is just XP Pro with a PVR app intergrated into it.

Back