winrar vs 7zip vs win8 own compression?

My first priority is whatever comes with your OS. If it works, just use that and forget about it. Second priority is opensource software. 7zip is opensource and it works with no nonsense and no advertisements or trial periods etc. I haven't used winrar in a very long time.

7zip has worked fine for all of my rar files.

I have had some .rar files error out with 7zip that extracted fine with winrar.

you need winrar for certain extraction situations from DVD's

this is a conundrum. rar files are still used i think and win8 compression has no options like verification...

On Win8.1 here and personally I have both Winrar and 7-zip installed. I find 7-zip better for context-menu based quick extraction of files but I tend to keep most compressed formats associated with Winrar by default mainly because a) its what Im used to and b) Its slightly more reliable for managing archives.

winrar 5 is out with some new compression abilities.

i like winrar for multiple file selection to create individual archives as well as recovery records for compression

Winrar is the same as7zip right click archive / extract files here or extract files [zip file name]

I don't understand why so many are saying 7-zip has issues with extracting multi-part rar's, it does it just fine, just extract the .rar file and it will extract the rest no problem, if there is no .rar file and its all .r## then just select them all, right click, extract to, and you're good.

I'd stick with 7zip as its free and works just as good as winrar, and, if I remember correctly, 7-zip has a higher compression ratio

its more complicated than that. when I um, I mean a friend, has a folder full of multipart files, if you select them all and extract with 7zip it will often break on certain files or overwrite on broken file sequences. It can always handle individual files fine. So when uh, my friend does a bunch of downloads I made a batch file for him that will cycle through the part1 & part01 files and call the command line utility for each, dumping the errors into a file. From there he can check the error file to see which archives need par to be run.

Winrar does have a better file manager but I haven't used it for years.

Back