Windows10 installion media creation tool : how current is current?

wasteomind

Gawd
Kinda a dumb question I likely know the answer to but gonna ask anyways. Looking to reinstall Windows 10 clean. I have the installation tool on a usb drive I made a couple years ago which I think has one of the first versions of windows 10 using that tool or slightly after. As the thread title says, how up to date is the media creation tool compared to windows update within the OS? Couple of weeks? Couple of months? Last major "service pack" type update? Is it worth the effort to update the USB drive I have or will I get the same result just installing what I have and running windows update?

When I've used it the version was very recent and required maybe one or two small rounds of updates.

One of the last major updates(the one before last I believe) also takes a long time so you'd be much better getting the newest version to install.

Every major release (twice a year) gets a new Media Creation Ttility which is the RTM/Gold version of that release. When you use it you will only patch up what has been released. In fact, the Media Creation Ttility for the past few years has even been named after the version it downloads. Right now it's named MediaCreationTool1909.exe since it downloaded the version that was most recently released.

Here is a link to the most recent version.

Every major release (twice a year) gets a new Media Creation Ttility which is the RTM/Gold version of that release. When you use it you will only patch up what has been released. In fact, the Media Creation Ttility for the past few years has even been named after the version it downloads. Right now it's named MediaCreationTool1909.exe since it downloaded the version that was most recently released.

Here is a link to the most recent version.

Yeah, use this -- don't bother with an ancient version and then have to spend all day updating it. Whenever a new version of windows comes out you should get a new media creation tool and make a new USB.

They tend to do a refresh between versions, so like if you use the MCT now you'll get 1909 but not the release version but rather a newer build from I think December or January.

Back