Windows XP X64 Edition as a file server - is this a good idea?

wasserkool

Limp Gawd
I have a file server box at home that currently runs Ubuntu. Since there are 8 drives in that box and I couldn't find any power save features to turn off the drives, i've decided to move into Windows that offer better power saving features.

I do not have a copy of Windows 2003 serverbut I do have a legit copy of Windows XP x64. I am wondering if that OS will give good and stable performance for my file server needs.

My system specs are of the following:

Dual Core Opteron 1.8Ghz
1GB of RAM
3Ware 9550SX SATA RAID CARD.

The stability is fine, the question is how many simultaneous connections will you be making to this box?

XP's limit is 10.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Ditto... XP only supports 10.

For file serving that should really be the only problem to get your setup working...

Otherwise, Server obviously gives you tons more flexibility over shared resources...

Don't see an issue with that setup and windows 64. Others have mentioned the 10 connection limit for file shares but if you have more then 10 computers in your house that need to access it at once then I don't know what to say.

Not sure how the power management would work with a raid though. Never tired it. Then again if you are running all of the drives without raid it shouldn't be an issue.

as long as you can find drivers for everything it will work fine.

if you havent bought it yet though, i see no reason to buy x64 for a file server. do not other Linux versions have better power management?

is this just something you cant find that ubuntu may have or it just lacks the feature?

i see no reason to buy x64 for a file server
How about this, that was in the OP?
but I do have a legit copy of Windows XP x64.

OP: Are you wanting to go to Windows no matter what- or would you consider *nix again? I think it just needs to get clarified if you want possible help in making *nix work, but it wouldn't be very helpful to you if you aren't wanting to run Ubuntu anyways (for other reasons or something).

How about this, that was in the OP?

OP: Are you wanting to go to Windows no matter what- or would you consider *nix again? I think it just needs to get clarified if you want possible help in making *nix work, but it wouldn't be very helpful to you if you aren't wanting to run Ubuntu anyways (for other reasons or something).

While it could be done in unix if he has a legit copy of x64 their is no real good reason not to run it. Should be fine for a home server.

Back