Windows XP support for _any_ socket 1150's?

WarlordBB

Limp Gawd
I know what you're thinking, "why the hell do you care if they support Windows XP"...

Well, we're having to order several new desktops at work and I'd rather order socket 1150 based systems, but we still have to support some installations that _have_ to use Windows XP (due to software they have to run). I've found several posts that suggest someone is using Windows XP with some of these boards (like complaining that USB only goes to 2.0 speeds and such), but I've yet to find a single manufacturer's page that lists Windows XP drivers for their socket 1150 boards. I've checks MSI, ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte. At this point, I'm not expecting to find specific Windows XP drivers, I'll settle for someone telling me that it will work just fine.

I really would rather have a lot of new Haswell systems than to have to drop back to the socket 1155, so please tell me this will work.

Can they run under xpmode? Thats what I used to do at my last job. But convincing system admins to support this was a no-go.

There is one, apparently, "must have" app that will not behave in any of the virtual modes we've tried, including XPMode (we've tried DOSBOX, I think that's the name, and several other type systems). It's something called Time In a Box from a German company that all our hourly employees use to clock in.

I really need to be able to install XP or it might have to be socket 1155 for now...

Greetings

This might not help you but I purchased a Socket 2011 Gigabyte x79s-up5-wifi motherboard which has the Intel server C606 chipset together with an I7-3820 cpu which I built into a Win 7 games machine, the reason I bought this board was the fact that I wasn't going to heavily overclock it and the extra 8 SAS/Sata ports would come in handy in about 5 years time or so when I would probably retire it into performing ZFS NAS duties.

I also tested it with Solaris 11 the original version and it installed everything except for the USB3 ports as I presume no Solaris driver for them existed at that point in time.

More importantly I installed XP 32 just out of curiosity even though Gigabyte provided no XP drivers whatsoever for the board. To my surprise the install went smoothly and windows update installed all the missing drivers including even a driver for the SAS ports. I didn't check whether the USB3's were only working at USB2 speeds or not but since the driver was installed I'm guessing they were the USB3 drivers. I would have to say that they may not support XP but it sure seems to work OK regardless.

You could just buy one Z87 board (since you mentioned that you intend to buy several) and try it out, it may well be that legacy drivers could install OK for it, if not then you have my suggested Socket 2011 option to fall back on, although at slightly higher expense than you were probably anticipating to spend, however, this could be offset by buying a cheaper Xeon processor and the other benefit of this board would be if you were to buy a Xeon then you can also use ECC memory for greater reliability (ECC does not work if you just use a consumer I7 cpu as it must be a Xeon).

Cheers

When you can no longer buy current hardware to replace the worn out stuff and it will no longer support the OS and apps you need, then you are way past the point of an OS upgrade and failed to put measures in place to ensure a successful transition (QA testing, costs, etc.).

When you can no longer buy current hardware to replace the worn out stuff and it will no longer support the OS and apps you need, then you are way past the point of an OS upgrade and failed to put measures in place to ensure a successful transition (QA testing, costs, etc.).
Not necessarily, sometimes its because the highly specialized equipment that requires these old OS's the makers are dead and gone, or they just don't bother supporting their hardware.
An example would be a request for PCs i recently got where the client was a university and they too needed XP as their scanning electron microscope wouldn't work with anything but 98 or XP. This is a $250k, replacing a 100% working machine simply because the maker of it went belly-up isn't a viable solution either.

Virtualbox is free. So you could run Linux or Windows7 or something, and then install WinXP into Virtualbox.

Or maybe ESXi would work? ESXi presents virtualized hardware to the OS, doesnt it?

I was really hoping to avoid all the "you're stupid for needing XP" and the "you should try XYZ instead" posts, sigh...

I don't own the company, I work for the company. My net admin and I have been telling them for literally years to transition, it's not our call. I already mentioned we tried several virtual solutions (Virtualbox among them), we've not been able to make the program run with stability on any of them and besides, this is a time clock program and with many of our hourly employees, they're already trying to beat the clock to power on and wait for boot to clock in. Asking them to wait several more minutes for the virtual machine to run and then clock in was a _major_ issue just during our 5 person test phase. There's just no way we're going to do that with all 140 employees.

Besides, _any_ headaches and the answer's going to be, "just use those socket 1155's that work great with Windows XP". I'm the only one trying to keep us current gen...

For those that care, I did as HobartTas suggested and got a board and proc on Friday. I went with the ASUS Z87M-Plus. I set the hard drive to IDE Legacy just for less headaches and everything installed just fine with only about 5 yellow devices in Device Manager. That's where I left it on Friday. I'm pretty sure I can get the Sound and Video working which were the only devices not working that I really care about. Looks like it might work as HobartTas suggests, even though there aren't specific drivers, it might work "good enough".

I'll update when I'm sure one way or the other.

I know this is an old thread but figured this info may be helpful to someone.

When looking for an 1150 motherboard to run XP or Vista do not choose a newer, Intel integrated NIC unless you don't mind using an add-in card (no drivers). Also, you'll need a discrete graphics card as well (no integrated graphics drivers for XP or Vista).

You were wise to go with the IDE option for your drives (no AHCI drivers). The only other problem I've noticed in XP on two Z87 motherboards is that they will not go into standby/sleep mode.

If the day comes when I finally let go of XP, I'll miss playing Star Trek Legacy and Risk II over our in-house network, but fortunately, I don't have an electron microscope to operate!

Have fun!

Use ESXi on a server.

Then run Server 2000 as a terminal server. That clock in program I am guessing will run just fine on 2000, or maybe even 2003.

If it will only work on XP, then just use a TCP/IP stack modifier so you can run it as a terminal server.

Then use some thin clients to RDP into the terminal server.

No boot up time, and you don't have to worry one bit about having to find newer hardware that will work with XP.

You are making the problem way bigger than it needs to be.

Back