Windows XP startup issue

Phandalyon

I am having a rather odd issue with a laptop running XP Home. The computer starts up and lets me log in but explorer never starts.

Here is what I have tried:
Nothing odd showing up in the event viewer.
I can start the task manager and run applications, but not explorer, it will flash up and disappear if I try to manually start it.
I have disabled all non-microsoft startup items in msconfig.
Starting in safe mode has the same results
I have tried a repair install of XP

I am leaning toward a format/reinstall of XP, but I will have to hunt my Brother-in-law down to get the laptop hard drive adapter. Anyone seen this before?

Basically I can see the desktop background, but the start bar and icons never load.

Just relaized that I forgot to mention that the whole situation started when the laptop was left in a car over night and it got down to 20F. It was warmed to room temp before being turned on. I doubt that is the problem, but it is the only thing she (laptop owner, a friend of mine) could think of.

It is a Sager notebook with a 15" screen and a P4, not sure of all stats.

Have you scanned for viruses? Try that first, and if nothing comes up you could try making a copy of explorer.exe from your system, boot into safe mode w/ cmd and copy it in.

Thanks for the suggestions. Trying AVScan though knoppix now and will replace explorer after.

Back