Windows XP SP2 (FINAL) **1st post updated**

Scar1.8T said:
I ran the fsum program and got the following number.

59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7

I got the file from suprnova but dont really want to install it unless it is actually the final. Just currious since it doesnt seem to match any of the other numbers posted.

This is the correct checksum according to neowin and elsewhere. It is the version I have (also from SN), and does appear to be build 2180. Haven't installed it yet, I'll probably try it on my laptop first before it goes onto my main system.

ComputerBox34 said:
Hey,

All you people that still have RC2, did SP2 come out on Windows Update today?
i checked a couple hours ago when i woke up. as of ~10am EST, no it's not on WU.

From what I have been told (from guys at work), MS will be releasing the Final version to certain ranges of COA's each day for updating. Once a certain % is done, then the floodgates will be opened up to the rest of the world.

ComputerBox34 said:
I have 2600 and I downloaded directly from MS's website.

2600 is part of the Windows XP version number: "Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]". Everyone has 2600 :) For SP2, 2180 is the build number but it won't be exposed in the user interface because there's really no reason to.

rolo said:
2600 is part of the Windows XP version number: "Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]". Everyone has 2600 :) For SP2, 2180 is the build number but it won't be exposed in the user interface because there's really no reason to.

Wouldn't surprise me. Remember, there are over 250 million XP users out there, you can't have them all downloading 80 - 250mb at the same time.

Has anyone slipstreamed it into their CD and then installed it? I am doing a fresh install once I pick up a new hard drive. I just want to know how that is working out for people.

Installed the final version today. Be warned, it is a very slow install. A couple of times it appeared to be stalled. From what I have seen rebooting in the middle of the process is a good way to completely screw your system.

I have VMware installed to run Win95 (I hate legacy aps). The firewall did not like the VMware network connectors and did not allow the legacy ap access to the network without any warnings. Already behind a firewall so it is not a major issue for me.

Not seeing the problems that others mentioned with IE display errors.

The plug-in monitor for IE is one of the best parts to me. I need to find a site that tells me which ones are naughty. Too bad I mostly use Firefox now.

It seems to have no effect on WindowBlinds.

I don't care for the default of auto updating at 3am. In my office that would mean 90% of the computers would never get an update.

Have installed on one lan rig with no ill effects so far, installing on second lan rig (compaq) so this one should screw up if anything does...it is my xp install on it so who knows...
(rehabbed trade in hehe 600 PIII for nada).....

I thought IE was going to get updated in this service pack to include a tabbed interface. I could have sworn I read that somewhere. Or was I just dreaming? I use FireFox but for many sites I have to go back to IE

Have any of you guys installed SP2 on your A64 / Opteron Boxen? I just completed two SP2 installs, one on my AthlonXP 1800 and the other on my A64 3200. Both went without a hitch, and things seem to be working great.

Question was concerning the NX bit in the 64 bit CPU's. Seems like you have to manually go into your "My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Performance -> Data Execution Prevention" tab to turn it on for all software. I thought that it would be defaulted under SP2, but it wasn't. BTW - I found a program to check the status of your DEP at: http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/ if any of you guys want to check it out.

Any of you other 64 bit guys out there run into issues?

Hey, I installed the 'final' version today... something interesting for you to ponder over... I'm stumped... This is my experience with it:

Downloaded it.
Installed it.
Rebooted machine.
Watched system boot past the BIOS to a black screen.
Watched USB peripherals power down.
No HDD activity.
Rebooted machine into safe mode.
Uninstalled SP2.
Rebooted into Windows XP fully.

I tried it today and hosed the box. It rebooted and hung at the "Windows XP" screen. Safe mode and Last Known Good Configuration wouldn't work (which pissed me off, I made a restore point, too!). Did a repair install, I think it'll work (still going).

This worries me...will it hose my box when it's out for everybody in a month?

Wipeout said:
I tried it today and hosed the box. It rebooted and hung at the "Windows XP" screen. Safe mode and Last Known Good Configuration wouldn't work (which pissed me off, I made a restore point, too!). Did a repair install, I think it'll work (still going).

This worries me...will it hose my box when it's out for everybody in a month?

What are your specs? Maybe it doesnt like a certain driver you have?

P4 2.8E
ABIT IS7
nvidia GeForce4 ti 4600
Audigy

Everything had up-to-date drivers and everything (box is about two weeks old).

Goddamnit.

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

Time to delete the C: partition and reinstall...won't do safe mode because the repair install hasn't finished. The repair install won't finish because of the above BSOD. Fuck.

*grumbles angrily about SP2 turning on the firewall service even while the firewall claimed to be off*

I spent hours trying to figure out why my torrent download wasn't even moving when it had worked without issue just before installing SP2. Interesting that the firewall said it was set to off though. That part was what really fooled me and was driving me crazy about the whole thing. Especially since I'd read that they intended to make it default to on now. I think MS thought to have it set to off if you have something like zonelarm installed, but, not they weren't smart enough to not reenable the ICF/firewall service if you do...

Well I uninstalled StyleXP to be on the safe side - then installed SP2 from the link given in the first post - and it worked perfectly. Took about 5 minutes or so to install - computer booted into Windows without a hitch. So far everything is working beautifully! Count me as a happy customer :p

I read everything at Microsoft's website, and there was nothing there that convinced me that I should update to SP2. The SP2 patches that I've installed over the last months are all that I need, and I picked through them fairly closely. SP2 seems like just more bloat to me, so I'll pass...

...but I'm one of those guys who still uses Word97, however. :D

To be honest with you, I see some of the problems you guys are having and I really don't feel like backing stuff up right now and if something goes wrong, I really don't feel like reinstalling at the moment.

I'll wait until we have built up a good catalog of issues and resolutions that way if something does go wrong, I can search and find it. I'll probably wait until later in the month to update.

Just be sure you turn off the automatic download of it then. You have until the 16-th, and then it will be forced on you no matter how you feel about it.

This is all about security, right? Still, doesn't it make you wonder? They are trying to force EVERYONE to upgrade. Even that temporary disable only lasts so long. Lol, anyone care to look at that code for trojans that lets MS take over your pc? ^_^

odoe said:
To be honest with you, I see some of the problems you guys are having and I really don't feel like backing stuff up right now and if something goes wrong, I really don't feel like reinstalling at the moment.

I'll wait until we have built up a good catalog of issues and resolutions that way if something does go wrong, I can search and find it. I'll probably wait until later in the month to update.
Maybe if it had mouse gestures, I'd take the plunge. :D

I dont know if people have already posted these problems, and if they are I am sorry. I have had a lot of problems with IE since I installed sp2.

1. The find text feature does not work anymore. The find next button never enables and the cancel button doesnt work.
2. Windows Update does not work. Whenever I try to connect to the website it just shows up as a white background. (yes I am sure it's not still loading)
3. Some javascript and php wont work. I cant check my email through my ISP's website because they use a (I think) javascript navigation.

I tried installing this on my HP zx5000 laptop and it is now hosed.
It goes into the infinite loop of load, flash what appears to be a bsod, but its too fast to see, and then reboot.
Also, neither safe mode, nor last know config worked.

Wow, somethings going on here. On some machines it's flawless and some machines it fucks everything up.

Sugii - Try reinstalling Java through Sun's website.

Maybe it's something to do with drivers??

slipstreamed my copy of xp sp1 and dumped it onto my laptop, worked perfect :p time to do my main rig soon

Well, it hosed IE on one of my machines and hosed some graphic drivers on another one of my machines. Even when I uninstalled graphic drivers and re-installed them I still had big problems with games not working right at all. On another machine I re-formatted and installed XP with SP2 slipstreamed and it works flawlessly. A day later did it on one of the other machines that got hosed and it now also works flawlessly. My suggestion would be, back up your data and reformat with a WinXP w/sp2 integrated disk if you are really wanting to have SP2 on your puter. This may have already been suggested but that is usually what always works best anyway.

Zorlofe said:
Well, it hosed IE on one of my machines and hosed some graphic drivers on another one of my machines. Even when I uninstalled graphic drivers and re-installed them I still had big problems with games not working right at all. On another machine I re-formatted and installed XP with SP2 slipstreamed and it works flawlessly. A day later did it on one of the other machines that got hosed and it now also works flawlessly. My suggestion would be, back up your data and reformat with a WinXP w/sp2 integrated disk if you are really wanting to have SP2 on your puter. This may have already been suggested but that is usually what always works best anyway.

Certainly back up your data before you update anything this big, but a WinXP w/sp2 integrated is gonna be a challenge since it just hit the streets. Besides, I've upgraded 15 machines already and haven't had an issue yet. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones...

Also... :rolleyes: Shame when your Sig line is longer is longer than your actual post. Check rule number (22) No active links, graphics, cussing or advertising allowed in the SIGNATURE. Sig line is limited to 10 lines total as viewed @ 800 x 600 resolution or no more that 15 words per line.

Not flaming, just making sure ya know! ;)

I have a nice version of RC2 installed right now, and it does everything I want.

Everyone else seems to be having so many problems...I think I'm just gonna stick with RC2 until I do a reformat and reinstall and then I'll do a clean SP2 install.

It works great for me but.....

On the "Add / Remove Programs" window the text no longer apears on the buttons on the left hand side. The background is all white and I can on longer see what each of the large buttons are:

example.JPG

This happen to anyone else?

LordJezo said:
It works great for me but.....

On the "Add / Remove Programs" window the text no longer apears on the buttons on the left hand side. The background is all white and I can on longer see what each of the large buttons are:

example.JPG

This happen to anyone else?

Nope, I still have my text.

hmmm, i loaded the final version and as soon as I login i get "Explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed" and then I sit at my background. I go to start new task and run explorer.exe and all I get is the my computer window. :( Removed SP2 and now im back to normal. Any ideas?

CookiePuss said:
could have something to do with your theme, try putting back the normal theme, see if it works.

I am using the normal theme and I don't have any problems. I think you quoted the wrong person.

SP2 installed fine on my P4 system. However it did add another 200MB of bloat! (no including backup). :mad:

Back