Windows XP Shutdown Freeze?

Zero1

Limp Gawd
Heya. This is odd, every now and then when I go to shut down, it will go to the blue screen and get stuck on saving settings screen. I have no idea what's causing it. The only way out is to nuke the power supply, and the drive makes an unsatisfying spinning down sound lol, it cant be healthy.

At first I thought it was my modem, but I updated the drivers and no change.

It seems to happen when the computer's been on for a while, it may be when I've been on the internet for a long time as well.

It's really p***ing me off now, it's been like this for over a year, and I never had this problem with windows ME (but I had about a million others lol).

Also I get partial lockups. Ill be on the computer, and I'll maybe open media player or something else... It wont start, I click it a few times, no difference. So I go and load something else to see if its just a media player fault, that wont load either. But the strange thing is, any programs already open will work fine, ie I can still use photoshop etc, it just seems like it wont load anything else. I thought my HD was dead at one point.

So then I find myself frantically hitting ctrl alt delete... nothing

then suddenly everything flies open, media player, internet explorer and about 17 task managers, and this happens even when there is no processor load.

I've triggered it a few times by clicking the new email alert as msn messenger signs in, sometimes it'll freeze like above after clicking a web link and loading a web page.

ive been able to free it up by disconnecting from the internet or causing internet explorer to give an end task prompt.

I'm thinking now that internet explorer is dead. I'm fully up to date with the XP updates so far.

I'm getting a couple of new hard drives and having them in RAID tomorrow, I really dont want to have to resort to not shutting down properly and making a mess of my drives. I appreciate your help

If you have any logitech software installed, uninstall it. Also check temps for overheating and etc...

Back