Windows XP setup with SATA and NO floppy drive

What is the recommended procedure for installing Windows XP on a computer that has SATA harddisks without using a floppy drive?

I just built a new computer with a pre-SP1 version of WinXP onto a 160GB SATA HD and it found and partitioned some of it (did not see the whole size because XP only sees 137GB) and worked flawlessly. Then I partitioned the rest after I had SP2 installed. I did not have to install any SATA drivers at all.

No typically I have to press the F6 function key during the windows installation, and insert a floppy disk. At this point I do not have a floppy disk, and would like to know how to add the drivers to the windows installation disk. Thanks

I understand your problem with the F6 thing in Windows XP--occurs with certain SATA controllers on certain motherboards. Here's something I read out of a Maximum PC magazine a really long time ago (unfortunatly, I have lost the magazine so all I can give you is the basic idea for you to do research on):

Get the SATA drivers on a working computer just somewhere like the desktop or my documents.

Get your copy of Windows XP out and copy it to a folder (yes, the entire CD's contents).

Now here's what you'll have to experiment with: You'll need to find where the drivers are on your new CD on the hard drive and put the SATA drivers in that folder. You will then need to find the directory that Windows XP uses to identify where the drivers are located when it needs them.

Burn the contents onto a new CD (not illegal, you are just making a 'backup' of Windows XP for your own personal uses--do not share with anybody else.

You shouldn't even have to press F6 if you did it correctly, it would have the drivers beforehand. This process is called Slipstreaming your SATA drivers into Windows XP -- do some research on slipstreaming and windows xp and sata drivers and you should find exact directions.

I would do it, but my own motherboard's SATA controllers are detected by Windows XP already...

*EDIT* Oh well, the guy above me posted just before i finished typing!

set your sata to non-raid (might be available with newer bios). also in boot up disk order, make sure your sata hard drive is choosen first. also make sure your sata hard drive is recogonized at all by the bios (set it to cable select or master, check the cables)...

A popular utility called Nlite will do this for you. You need the Windows XP disk and the SATA drivers from your mobo manufacturer.

The feature is : Integrate Text-mode driver integration

Basically you point Nlite to your drivers you downloaded (unzipped, its looking for the .inf or the .ini files -- please forgive me, its been a while) and it will integrate those drivers into a custom winXP bootable iso file you then burn to CD (use a slow write, 8x or lower for best performance in my experience, even with quality media) and voila! Your very own custom bootable WinXP disk with your motherboard sata drivers pre-installed. No more F6 :)

Please google for Nlite, its been an exhausting night at work for me.

Note: there are other utilities out there that will do this. I am just pointing out "How I did it" and "It worked for me and 3 of my friends". You may find a better way of doing it and if you do, please share :D

Thanks for the help. I will try the above suggestions and let everyone know which worked out the best.

Back