Windows XP PS2 port problem

Dude

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to help a family member troubleshoot a keyboard/mouse issue. The mouse and keyboard just stopping working for no apparent reason. She was running a USB->PS2 adaptor on the mouse, removed that and plugged it into a USB port. That works now. The keyborad is still T.U. The Num lock light is on but frozen. The hardware manager does not show a listing for 'keyboard'. I talked her into the BIOS where the keyboard worked fine; that should rule out a hardware problem. The OS is XP Home with Service Pack 1. She has an NF7-S. I'm a little Windows stupid on hardware troubleshooting (Liking Linux more every day). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-The Dude

If you plug the keyboard and mouse straight into the PS2 sockets instead of into USB Sockets, the BIOS will atomatically tell Windowz that they are there. There is probably a setting in the BIOS for USB Keyboard and maybe mouse as well, if you are insistant on pluging them in to the USB ports, have to ask though, if they are PS2 why do you want/need to?

Windows will still need to install the drivers for the mouse and keyboard if you plug them into USB, but not if you put them in the PS2 ports, hope that helps :)

There may be an 'Input' section in the CP Devices section, sometimes USB input devices do not have a very clear name, esp if you dont install the software for them, eg HID-Compliant Device could be anything from a Keyboard to mouse to an infra-red-movement-detector,

Try switching the USB Keyboard on and off in the bios.

Remember: Windows is like a 3 year old Child, it doesnt want to be told how to do things, but it cant do it by itself

:p

Back