Windows XP PRO X64 error

The-One

Gawd
In the last week and a half I've put together my newer(budget) system and converted over to XP PRO SP2 X64 to utilize 4GB of ram. But the last couple of days I've been getting an unexpected restarts and an error message that has to be linked to some sort of software that I've recently installed. I installed so much software in a short time that it's hard to pin point what is doing it. Here are my specs and the error that I find in Event Viewer every single time after my computer reboots. It has not restarted any other time without this error so it is definitely related to this.
Specs
Intel_E2180
WD_1500HLFS 150GB
G.SKILLF2_8000CL5D-4GBPQ
GIGABYTE_GA-G31M-S2L
Msi 7800GT video card = :(
PC P&C 610 watt PSU

Error

I've ran memtest for 6 hours and it came up clean. I also put my OC to stock and it still did it. I then reinstalled my whole OS and it didn't do it anymore. So I reinstalled all my apps and it does it again...I'm assuming it's related to software and I will start uninstalling stuff but I'm hoping someone can give me some info on this problem? I believe it to be itunes, truecyrpt, etc but not sure. Anyone know of this?

I've also tried these fixes from MS but it didn't work.
Grant the user permissions to start the COM component
Grant the user permissions to start the COM component. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\CLSID value
Note In this subkey, "CLSID value" is a placeholder for the CLSID information that appears in the message.
3. In the right pane, double-click AppID.

The Edit String dialog box appears. Leave this dialog box open and continue to the next step.
4. Click Start, click Run, type dcomcnfg in the Open box, and then click OK.

If a Windows Security Alert message prompts you to keep blocking the Microsoft Management Console program, click to unblock the program.
5. In Component Services, double-click Component Services, double-click Computers, double-click My Computer, and then click DCOM Config.
6. In the details pane, locate the program by using the friendly name.

If the AppGUID identifier is listed instead of the friendly name, locate the program by using this identifier.
7. Right-click the program, and then click Properties.
8. Click the Security tab.
9. In the Launch and Activation Permissions area, click Customize, and then click Edit.
10. Click Add, type the user's account name, and then click OK.
11. While the user is selected, click to select the Allow check boxes for the following items:
• Local Launch
• Remote Launch
• Local Activation
• Remote Activation
12. Click OK two times.
13. Quit Registry Editor.

Back to the top
Grant the correct permissions to the Network Service account
To grant the correct permissions to the Network Service account, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type dcomcnfg in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. In Component Services, double-click Component Services, and then double-click Computers.
3. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
4. Click the COM Security tab.
5. In the Launch and Activation Permissions area, click Edit Default.
6. Click Add, type Network Service, and then click OK.
7. While Network Service is selected, click to select the Allow check boxes for the following items:
• Local Launch
• Remote Launch
• Local Activation
• Remote Activation
Click OK two times.

That's why I reinstalled but now I'm back to square one. I will uninstall those software packages mentioned but I still would like to get a more in depth answer if I can. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Your best bet would be not to use 64bit XP. You'll still get some extra memory from the 4GB kit, but at least you'll have no compatibility issues.

ive gotten this error a few times, once on my SBS box and a few times on my XP x32 machines, the KB has fixed it each and everytime. If the KB isn't helping you out, it might be time for a reinstall, or just a repair install possibly.

Wow, we always have guys in this forum preaching XP64 over Vista64.

Now where are they when someone needs help with said OS?

Anyway, since the KB wasn't able to solve your problem I would suggest you do a clean install. But this time think a little bit about what software you really need on this PC and install it slowly making sure everything is still working.

I have always felt every piece of software I installed on my PC increases the risk of operating system bugs by x10. Now I am sure this isn't true but it is how I feel. And this comes from repairing computers that are often very similar to mine except the owner chose to install every piece of software they hear about.

My Vista 64 install has been running rock solid for almost 2 years now but my list of installed software is very small.

Back