Windows XP Pro preferred for 10 PC LAN?

Kwak

n00b
Hi, I just purchased about 10 new gaming rigs for a small PC cafe.
Windows Vista Home Premium was planned to be installed but both the PC tech and I know that the system might not be as smooth as XP when it comes to playing LAN games like CS:S and BF2.

The licenses for XP Home will be cheaper and the XP Pro will be $25 more.
The tech told me that XP Pro has better networking capability and highly preferred if I would want to connect all ten PC to network with each other (LAN gaming).

Spend more and get XP Pro licenses OR get XP Home and try to create a LAN networking for the PC cafe?

Thanks for your time.

well unless you are going to be sharing files between the machines, connecting them them to a domain, and/or MS Remote Desktop; I don't really see a point in spending the extra cash unless you forsee this in the future.

* There are no differences in networking, when it comes to just game play.
* As for the domain, if you plan (and would be awesome, depending on needs) to have a centralized authentication point & network share drives then by all means get XP Pro. Makes it nice to have one point to create accounts, push out installer packages, lock down machines via Group Policy, etc.
* Remote Desktop is nice as it's much faster & works better than say VNC or some other alternatives. I highly doubt you will require this in this environment though. If it is needed, VNC still works great and is free. In some regards it's even better as you can interact with the currently logged in user. With XP Pro you would sign them out of the machine if you logged in via Remote Desktop.
* You can share files with XP Home, but it's just more simplified and isn't quite as robust. I have actually never setup shares on them, cause I have strictly dealt with XP Pro for any file sharing but I do know it's possible.

:edit
also if you already have Vista licenses, I imagine you might be able to swap them out for XP licenses instead. I would check with the vendor you bought the machines from.

Vista vs XP debates aside, unless you're planning on setting up a domain, you don't need XP Pro.

Reading the Windows domain page, it says that if more than 10 pc is connected, XP Pro is recommended to use as a domain.

There will be two computers that will monitor the 10 pc for game credits and what not. A total of 12 computers will all access the internet through a router and 11 of the pc will play games online or via network.

No file sharing and wireless access for customers.

Save about $250 and get XP Home? TIA.

Reading the Windows domain page, it says that if more than 10 pc is connected, XP Pro is recommended to use as a domain.
That's only if you plan to manage the resources on the computers through permissions, user accounts, GP, etc. To do this, you'd also need a dedicated server running Windows Server 2003. You're setting up a basic workgroup, most olikely with static IPs to help in joining games, so there is no reason you need XP Pro.

That's only if you plan to manage the resources on the computers through permissions, user accounts, GP, etc. To do this, you'd also need a dedicated server running Windows Server 2003. You're setting up a basic workgroup, most olikely with static IPs to help in joining games, so there is no reason you need XP Pro.
QFT

There will be two computers that will monitor the 10 pc for game credits and what not. A total of 12 computers will all access the internet through a router and 11 of the pc will play games online or via network.

No file sharing and wireless access for customers.

Save about $250 and get XP Home? TIA.

sounds like there is a 3rd party program that manages workstation useage?
doesn't sound like you need Pro at all really

Back