Windows XP Pro is picky about reactivation

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
I unhooked my DVD-RW drive and now Windows wants me to reactivate because my hardware has "changed significantly"

whoa, yesterday I disabled a firewire port that I never ever use as it was the only thing left on my mobo that I could disable and somehow I must of forgot to disable it when I did all the rest months and months ago, so long story short, I disable the firewire port via the bios, i then goto reboot the pc, then at bootup it says windows has changed significantly and I have to reactivate, now I have messed with windows and hardware big time for numerous years and this is the very first time this has happened to me.

I am wondering if this was caused by a windows update ? as I have fuked with hardware on this pc fucking loads of times during previous installs of windows and up until yesterday I had never ever been asked to reactivate and it was caused by a stupid firewire port being disabled :|

I didnt activate the first time, I shut the pc down and then enabled the firewire port to see if it would stop me from having to reactivate, however when I booted up, it still asked me to reactivate withing 3 days or windows would pwn me.

Maybe because Firewire is seen in XP as a network connection device? That's nothing anyway. I've had XP trigger reactivation on me twice when I never changed any hardware settings. Once was after I had just finished playing a Starforce protected game and on the next boot up I got the activation message and another time all I did was install Winamp and at the end of the install it said I needed to reboot and once again I got flagged to reactivate. Yep, XP activation is flaky for sure.

exactly the reason why windows is easier to pirate than it is to run legally

i have several legit licenses... i tried to use one the other day and took over 2 hours on the phone with microsoft before it was finally activated.

OR i can use a false cd key, install some hacks, and never get hastled.

go ms...

exactly the reason why windows is easier to pirate than it is to run legally

i have several legit licenses... i tried to use one the other day and took over 2 hours on the phone with microsoft before it was finally activated.

OR i can use a false cd key, install some hacks, and never get hastled.

go ms...

It takes 10 minutes to activate a copy assuming you are only using it on one computer at a time like you are supposed to do as specified in the license. I've called them 4 times to reactivate and it's never taken 2 hours. It's a non-issue for me.

edit: can your installation with the invalid cd key run the authentication program/WGA required to download MS software and Windows Updates?

It takes 10 minutes to activate a copy assuming you are only using it on one computer at a time like you are supposed to do as specified in the license. I've called them 4 times to reactivate and it's never taken 2 hours. It's a non-issue for me.

edit: can your installation with the invalid cd key run the authentication program/WGA required to download MS software and Windows Updates?

the invalid one? yeah, x64 doesnt have any of that crap.. it just works... like it should in the first place. only time i've seen that wga stuff is when i've tried legit copies, so its just not worth it IMO

the legit copy i was refering to, i installed on a pc for about a day to test some stuff, then formatted the drive.. i then installed it as a VPC on my mac for some school stuff, then deleted that image soon after. i then tried to install on another pc thats actually going to be running the OS daily, and had to call. actually all together it took a total of 2 days to get activated. first day their systems were completely down (lol). second day was spent being transfered from agent to agent with no explanation, hung up on, connected to people that barely speak english, put on hold for 30 minutes at a time... FINALLY they gave the activation code (with no explanation of what took so long, of course)

dont you agree?

i have xp 64 bit on my main PC with a invalid cd-key and never had a problem.

Well, regardless of rather I agree or not, I am sure that I wouldn't go around stating that I am using a pirated version of Windows, it's one of those things your not supposed to talk about around here.
It's a no-no.

And honestly, I have activated Windows over the phone more times than I can remember, and I have never once had a problem with it.

I tripped activation yesterday. It may have had something to do with trying out a new motherboard.

Interesting thing is, putting it on the new mobo tripped it. It still wanted to be reactivated when switched back to the old one. I reactivated it, but then put in the new mobo, and it didn't trip activation!

Then I found out that board was warped, and only worked if you put pressure on the video card or CPU heatsink. So I put in the original board, and activation still didn't trip.

I unhooked my DVD-RW drive and now Windows wants me to reactivate because my hardware has "changed significantly"

Hah! same thing happened to me! i just unplugged the DVDRW drives to use the IDE cable for a temp HDD. Boom, windows needs to reactivate again.

good thing i made an image that i created right after installation and activation. you might consider doing the same.

We don't give two shits whether or not your post was justified, it still breaks the rules. I know ways of going around the whole activation B.S., but I can also use common sense and not brag about it online.

distro -

why activate the installs when your only testing them out? you have a while before having to activate if your testing (ie :> vpc one and the one to test stuff for a day)

We don't give two shits whether or not your post was justified, it still breaks the rules. I know ways of going around the whole activation B.S., but I can also use common sense and not brag about it online.

sorry, didn't know i was breaking any rules.. like i said, i have legit licenses.. 4 of them actually, 3 of which I'm not using...

my point is that the whole WGA / Activation thingee is really just pushing people to pirate windows. i really hope they come up with a better idea and/or get all this shit out of xp

distro -

why activate the installs when your only testing them out? you have a while before having to activate if your testing (ie :> vpc one and the one to test stuff for a day)

cant install updates without activation... have you used XP lately with no service packs? :D

sorry, didn't know i was breaking any rules.. like i said, i have legit licenses.. 4 of them actually, 3 of which I'm not using...

my point is that the whole WGA / Activation thingee is really just pushing people to pirate windows. i really hope they come up with a better idea and/or get all this shit out of xp

I agree. It's a pain to have to activate/validate all this crap and it only affects the legitimate users.
It's actually LESS hassle to use a pirated copy - way to microsoft :rolleyes:

to[/i] pirate windows. i really hope they come up with a better idea and/or get all this shit out of xp

Umm, its not pushing me to pirate windows, so it asked me to reactivate windows for the first time in my life during a working install of windows, i.e outwith a clean install, its no big deal, 10 seconds activating online or 5-10 minutes MAX on the phone, now why would all that trouble make/force ppl to use a haxed copy unless they couldnt afford a genuine copy or just didnt want to pay for a copy? MS are making it as easy as possible to activate a genuine copy so why would you want to use a haxed copy when you have 3 or 4 genuine copies spare ?

me thinks not, people dont use haxed copies of windows if they have spare originals lying about, the only ppl that I know who use a haxed MS OS but actually do have a genuine copy of XP is when they are haxing vista.

As was said before, this isnt the place to tell the world you hax windows.

Back