Windows XP or Server 2003?

fuelvolts

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, Im the type who like to expirement with my PC (ie, i screw up and format prob once a month or so). So I am playing it safe this time!

I can get Windows Server 2003 free from school (Texas A&M) - is it worth upgrading from Windows XP?

Ive heard from some geeks on campus that it is better/faster, etc. I do mostly video/photo editing on my PC - every once in awhile I do gamin (Doom 3, not much though).

Would you guys upgrade if it was free?

I have a AMD XP Barton 2500+ OC to 2002mhz, 1GB PC 2700, 300 GB free space

Whatdya'll think?

I would put it on my server to be able to screw with, try setting up a domain, etc. I wouldn't put it on my desktop. Not that it's "bad," but XP is intended for desktop apps and gaming and 2K3 is not.

That said, I would definitely make sure I got a copy, even if I wasn't going to use it immediately.

I'd get a copy and set it up on an old cheapy machine to play with, but it takes quite a bit of tweaking and disabling to get it to run as fast (for desktop purposes) as XP. But then, by the time you do that, your basically looking at XP anyway....so take the easier better route and stick with XP.

well, thats what i was thinking - i guees the guys on campus must have ment after you spend a coupla hours configuring it

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks!

What are you using the system for, a server or desktop? That determines your OS. I would make sure to grab the free software though. If you have an old system, play around with it on there.

Yeah, basically what ^^they said. :)

Or it makes them feel special to say they are running a server OS on a desktop. Some people will say anything to hide a small weiner.

Phoenix86 said:
What does the OS have to do with it? ;)
That's right. Everybody knows it's not the size of the pagefile but how you use it ;)

lomn75 said:
That's right. Everybody knows it's not the size of the pagefile but how you use it ;)

Wow...we're doing a great job today of combining as many threads as possible. ;)

lomn75 said:
Are you people are trying to give me an aneurysm? :D

DragonNOA1 said:
Don't know if link was posted but this is how you can convert the Server OS to a desktop one.

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

That's what I was referring to. The more you follow the steps, the more you turn it into XP....so if your going to go through all that, why not just use XP?

djnes said:
That's what I was referring to. The more you follow the steps, the more you turn it into XP....so if your going to go through all that, why not just use XP?

Agreed. If you are going to use a Deskop for games / email / etc then use a desktop OS, but if you want to learn and have a spare machine go ahead and grab it to play with and expand your knowledge. If you can get it for free, but don't have an extra machine, just get it for future use in case you do accumulate another machine.

Back