Windows XP legal issues.

StangerD5

Limp Gawd
OK, i have a laptop that came preinstalled with windows xp home edition. Now - i do have the restore disks , however they say "wrong machine" although this is the machine that came with them - they worked before, but stopped working for some reason, the manufacturer says its something with the bios. OK so heres my question.

Is it legal to borrow someones windows xp CD and use my windows xp CD Key that came on the sticker on my laptop? How can i WXP on the laptop without using the recovery discs AND without messing with legal issues??

Thanks a ton !

thought it would help to say that the recovery cd is the kind with all the software preinstalled and it just copies everything over, without setups.

I believe you can just use some other disk while using your own key (it's really the key you pay for anyways when you buy Windows).

However, I think the key that comes with your laptop only works with the restore cds.

Pretty much on the money, you can legally use any copy of the OS as long as your key will activate it. Software is software, but the key is unique.

interesting.... the recovery CD's never ask for the key... wierd. OK so IF the key works with another CD, there shouldnt be any legal issues... this is good :)

thanks again

The reason the recovery cd never asks for the key is because the receovery disk is Bios locked to the machine. This allows systems builders like dell to just blow an image on and not have to worry about typing in the Coa number. Then all they have to is adhere any of the thousands of COA labels they have and ship the system.

The windows cd will compare the bios lock code on the disk to the MOBO and if they match it'll load. This is what prevents you from using a gateway recovery disk in a dell. that being said you may only run into a problem using another disk if the code you have is for an OEM install ( it should be) and you use a retail disk.

Is it true that microsoft allows the same copy of windows to be installed on the owner's laptop and desktop?

Not anymore, they changed the EULA so that now it's only One Copy, One Computer.

yup one per..BUT not for office

http://www.microsoft.com/office/edi...odinfo/faq.mspx

Q. How many times can I install Office 2003 Editions?

A. You can install one copy of Office Professional Edition 2003, Office Small Business Edition 2003, and Office Standard Edition 2003 on your main computer and another on your laptop computer for your exclusive, but non-concurrent use. To install a version of these Office 2003 Editions on more than these two computers, you must obtain another license for the program. You can install Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 on up to three computers in your household if a household member is qualified. You can work with Office 2003 Editions at your desk and when mobile. Note Licenses for the 2003 release of Office acquired preinstalled on new computers are single-computer licenses that cannot be transferred or installed on another computer.

nice!

So i do have a copy of windows XP home edition from another computer i have (retail) that has only been used on that desktop. So now that i know its legal to put it on my laptop, i must do this...

When i call to activate, just tell microsoft that i am now installing it on my laptop and they'll give me the activation key?

Thanks!

If it won't let you activate without a new key, then call them up, and since you're just reinstalling it on the same system, just tell them that. They'll just give you one in most cases.

Have fun.

Stanger.

you need to get an XP Home OEM CD...then use your CDKey from the COA sticker to install onto your laptop,...

your key might be an OEM, so youd need an OEM CD...if your key is retail, youd need a retail CD.

Originally posted by StangerD5
nice!

So i do have a copy of windows XP home edition from another computer i have (retail) that has only been used on that desktop. So now that i know its legal to put it on my laptop, i must do this...

When i call to activate, just tell microsoft that i am now installing it on my laptop and they'll give me the activation key?

Thanks!

WAIT.... WRONG.. YOU CANT TRANSFER THE OS i WAS TALKING ABOUT OFFICE ABOVE
READ THIS THREAD...MY QUOTE FROM THE THIRD PAGE IS BELOW

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=732815

READ THIS THREAD...

Guys ,maybe this will make it clear to you, The bottom line with OEM software is that its "married" to the system. You dont have to like it ( I dont) but this cant make it any clearer. The marriage is also performed when you adhere the COA to the box you built in in. You'll notice below

The End User License Agreement (EULA) for OEM software, including Windows XP, states that the software is licensed as a single integrated product in connection with the hardware. However, it's important to remember that the end user cannot see nor accept the electronic EULA until the software is installed on a fully-assembled computer system. So, even though the original OEM software unit may have been distributed with a component, like a hard drive, it isn't until the software is installed on a fully-assembled computer system that it becomes "married" to the hardware.

In general, OEM software may not be transferred from one system to another system. However, the computer system can certainly be updated with new components without the requirement of a new software license. The only exception to this is the motherboard 1. If the motherboard is replaced 2, the computer system is deemed "new" and a new license would be required. Other PC components may be upgraded, including a hard drive. Though if the hard drive 3 is replaced/upgraded, the operating system must first be removed from the old hard drive. To restate: the operating system is "married" to the computer system on which it is originally installed.

This link might help if your registered
https://oem.microsoft.com/worldwide/514341.asp.

One of the questions at the above link is this one

My customer bought a new PC and wants to move their software from the old PC to the new one. Can't they do whatever they want with the software?

The software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system. The EULA states that the license may not be shared, transferred to or used concurrently on different Computers. A new operating system license will have to be acquired for the new PC.

ok thanks for clearing that up, i read it wrong.

What am i supposed to do then? I cant find anyone who has a OEM CD of windows XP and my restore CD's wont work with this machine - they say "This is for a Satellite 5005" and IT IS, they came with THIS computer. grrrr....

I took it into the shop and they couldnt make the CD's work with it either...

any ideas anyone?

If i use my windows XP cd that works from my other computer (retail version) can i just run the "repair" option in setup and have it not ask me for a CD Key on the laptop?

thanks again

If i use my windows XP cd that works from my other computer (retail version) can i just run the "repair" option in setup and have it not ask me for a CD Key on the laptop?

thanks again

You can use any piece of media to run the repair option but if it asks for the COA then you may run into problems a retail disk wont accept the same COA's ask an oem but for the repair part I dont think you'd have a problem since you arent reinstalling anything

Originally posted by hulksterjoe
You can use any piece of media to run the repair option but if it asks for the COA then you may run into problems a retail disk wont accept the same COA's as an oem but for the repair part I dont think you'd have a problem since you arent reinstalling anything

Sorry for the Double post I was trying to correct the

SPPEEELLLLING

ok thanks for clearing that up, i read it wrong.

What am i supposed to do then? I cant find anyone who has a OEM CD of windows XP and my restore CD's wont work with this machine - they say "This is for a Satellite 5005" and IT IS, they came with THIS computer. grrrr....

I took it into the shop and they couldnt make the CD's work with it either...

any ideas anyone?

Did you upgrade the bios on that laptop? If so you wiped out the hardware information the CD is looking for, I had the same problem with a Toshiba laptop I used to own. There is two solutions, one is to call Toshiba and see if they can lend any help, the second is to reverse compile the restore CD and edit the necessary files to make it work.

In my situation, I added the correct BIOs value to the list the CD was looking for.

HTH

Originally posted by hulksterjoe
The reason the recovery cd never asks for the key is because the receovery disk is Bios locked to the machine. This allows systems builders like dell to just blow an image on and not have to worry about typing in the Coa number. Then all they have to is adhere any of the thousands of COA labels they have and ship the system.

The windows cd will compare the bios lock code on the disk to the MOBO and if they match it'll load. This is what prevents you from using a gateway recovery disk in a dell
I reinstalled Windows XP Home for a friend on their own DELL machine, using the "recovery cd" that came with it. As you described, it did not prompt for a cd key, although I expected that it would.

Now I have a friend who says that a dell recovery cd can be used on any machine, contrary to what you commented about it being "bios locked" into the machine it came with.

I didn't believe him but he insists that it's true. Any idea on this?

Some Dell recovery CD's can be used for a reinstall on any computer, just not if you stick it the CD and boot the computer from it because the installer looks for the Dell BIOS. If you actually look at the contents on the CD there will be the regular installation folder like a normal Windows CD has in addition to the image. At least this is the way it used to be with Dell CD's as of Win98 and I think 2000, though I'm not sure about XP.

thanks again

I tried reparing a winxp pro oem with a winxp pro retail and it didnt work. Windows would not boot up because of incorrect files.

Back