Windows XP - it takes 3-4 minutes before I can join network on startup..

AceTKK

Gawd
I have windows XP pro SP1 with all security updates current. I started having this problem a few weeks ago and it's a strange one. I created a network connection to dial my DSL modem and get online. For some reason, when windows starts up I am unable to get into the "Network Connections" control panel or the "Connect To" menu on the start menu for several minutes. The option is not grayed out, I just get kicked back to the desktop and am unable to dial the connection. After a few minutes I can select the connection just fine.

Now here's the kicker: Today I upgraded my system with a new motherboard, new processor and new hard drive. My new board has a built-in NIC so I'm using that instead of my old PCI one. With a brand new fresh install of XP, SP1, and security updates and no other programs installed I'm getting the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!

Anybody have any ideas? It's a real pisser to wait five minutes after booting up before I can get online.

Thx,
-Ace-

I could be way off but let me shoot...

Something I have noticed since the early betas of Windows XP. You are presented with your desktop long before your computer is actually "ready" to go. I notice this more on older machines -- I have a start menu and desktop icons but if I wait 2-3 minutes, I will see all of their startup shit launch. Even when I clear things out in msconfig, it seems like just getting "windows" up takes longer then it seems.

Conspiracy theory: This was done so reviews could say "LOOK AT HOW FAST XP IS!"

Anyways, this may be the same thing with you? Is that the ONLY thing you cant get into? Try browsing around your files when you first boot up and see if that lags you out.

Yes, I am able to do everything I would otherwise do on my computer; browse files, listen to mp3s, launch photoshop, etc. I just can't seem to get into the network connections. Thanks for your input, I hope I can get this figured out.

-Ace-

Back