Windows XP Install hangs at Installing Devices

Well, I decided to do a "No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option" today. HardOCP had this on the main page a few months back, here is the link: http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

Unfortunately, I hang at the welcome installation screen (after the BIOS-like file copying setup) at "installing devices" with 34 minutes remaining.

I tried using another windows xp installation disc, and tried two different DVD drives, but I still hang. I do have 4 250 GB sata drives, if that matters. The windows setup had no difficulty detecting the drive with windows on it, though (nor the others), so I don't think it is a driver issue. Right now I'm going to try to disable and unplug everything I don't need, as well as disconnect the unneeded sata drives.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I can't afford to lose the info in My Docs (yeah, I should have made a backup) but I did this install specifically because it is simply a file refresh.

Thanks for any assistance.

A few things to try. reset bios to default value ,set the time and date, and cdrom first boot.. unplug anything usb, last, if you have any ,use a different stick of ram. My Corsair XMS raised all kinda hell durrring XP install, but runs like a champ, later. You always try the repair option on the second page of setup, where it finds previous versions of XP. I just used it to fix a porked copy of Pro after a Vista install attempt.

BIGDADDY51 said:
A few things to try. reset bios to default value ,set the time and date, and cdrom first boot.. unplug anything usb, last, if you have any ,use a different stick of ram. My Corsair XMS raised all kinda hell durrring XP install, but runs like a champ, later. You always try the repair option on the second page of setup, where it finds previous versions of XP. I just used it to fix a porked copy of Pro after a Vista install attempt.

Thanks, I'll try what you listed that I haven't already done. I unplugged all HD's except for the one I'm installing XP on - no dice.

I guess I could install a temp xp on another partition to get me by, and copy all of my info over from the other one somehow. I forget how to get past all of the admin security crap for files though :\.

1. Shift-F10 when it hangs
2. Cd\windows
3. type setupapi.log
4. type setuplog.txt

One of those logs should give you an idea of what's wrong. At the 34 minute timer mark it's doing PNP.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Another thing you can do is disable the onboard extras like extra controllers(sata, pata), sound, etc. I've seen some weird issues with xp hanging in the past but that was on older systems. Check the logs as the other guy said as well.

Ranma_Sao said:
1. Shift-F10 when it hangs
2. Cd\windows
3. type setupapi.log
4. type setuplog.txt

One of those logs should give you an idea of what's wrong. At the 34 minute timer mark it's doing PNP.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thanks for the info.

I managed to pass the 34 minute timer mark after I let it sit for quite some time. A few prompts came up about installing drivers - it warned me that they could compromise my installation or something in that respect, so I selected "no" instead of "yes" to their installation.

It has now been sitting at the 29 minute marker for about 1.5 hours "Building file list". I DID pass the screen where I enter the date, time, and license key. I wonder what it is hanging on now.

BTW, I did enter setupapi.log but nothing happened. In fact, the command prompt stops responding when I do so (which isn't a huge deal, as I can open others. I also cannot close it with ctrl-c. As for the .txt file, I cannot open that via the command prompt, apparently.

Back