Windows XP Home-Can't load user profile...

2_hotty

Gawd
Hey guys. I've had this issue with one of my laptops since day one. I wasn't using it that much, so I pretty much forgot about it. Now I'm using it more and I would like to get this fixed.

When I boot up I get an error message saying that Windows could not load the user profile, default user will be loaded instead. It says that Windows tried to load a file in the registry, that is not a registry file format, or something to that effect. I'm wondering if anyone had seen this before.

I've used a registry cleaner, and it didn't fix the issue. I apologize for not posting the exact error, but I don't have the laptop here at work. I will post it verbatum when I get home tonight though. I was just wondering if anyone else has incountered this. Like I said, this has happened since the day it came home(brand new).

Any help would be appreciated.

I tried google, but didn't come up with anything at all to help. I'm just hoping that someone else has seen this before.

Here is the actual error:

"Windows cannot load the users profile but had logged you on with the default profile for the system"

Underneath it says:

"Detail-The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format."

I hope that everyone was just waiting for me to post more information before deciding to help, lol.

Did you have a system crash or something while being logged in as that user? It might have corrupted the user account.

Maybe it's not unloading your user profile and saving your settings on shut down.

Look at your event logs under application and see if you have any usernv events 1517 or 1524.

I used to get them at times but it never affected my shutdown or boot up luckily.

Then I installed this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

I ran it in report mode only and found that svchost.exe(788) was the culprit. It was hanging and not allowing my profile to unload on shut down.

Then with some other program, I forget what I used, it showed me the handles that were open under each listing of svchost.exe. I was never able to really narrow it down.

I just run the uphclean program in default mode now and it automatically shuts down the hanging service that sometimes prevents my settings from being saved. Even in default mode it will give your an event ID in your logs and tell you it had to slam something down and it will tell you what it was.

It's really beneficial on networked systems that use roaming profiles but it works just as well on a stand alone PC.

Thanks number69, I will try that tonight.

Direwolf20, the wierd thing is, this problem has been happening since day one, so I've never logged into the computer with anything other than the default account, lol. Everything seems to work fine once you get in, this is just really annoying.

The only thing I found on M$ site was that the hive might be screwed up. So hopefully that hive cleanup will correct the issue.

Well, the hive was screwed up, but it couldn't be fixed. So I ended up having to delete the user account, and start a new one like Direwolf20 suggested. So now I have to go change all my settings. Oh well, MXC is on. :)

Thanks for the help guys.

Back