Windows XP Driver Install - Missing Windows files during silent install

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by jgoewert, Nov 5, 2010.

1. jgoewert

jgoewert [H]ard|Gawd

I am trying to work out a silent driver install for the Intel Chipset drivers, but one of the problems is dialog boxes pop up asking for files from the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD. These files are already in c:\windows\system32\drivers and c:\windows\system32 and having to type in the path and hit enter is not what I want at all.

Example: "The file pci.sys on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD is needed."
    It is already in c:\windows\system32\drivers.

Anyone know of a fix for this? Why is it not finding the files that are already there?

I have tried my Google-fu at this for 2 days before asking and cannot find anything other than "Type the stuff in and click the button." This is not acceptable for a silent install that I am doing.

2. ehksohset

ehksohset [H]Lite

I could be far off the mark here, but I thought I'd throw it out. I take it that by the time the drivers are being installed, the core OS has already been installed and running. Having said that, are the two paths you mentioned:

c:\windows\system32\drivers and c:\windows\system32

listed in the PATH section of the Environment Variables (accessible when you right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced Tab, Environment Variables button)?

3. jgoewert

jgoewert [H]ard|Gawd

I tried the path thing, thinking it to be a great idea. It didn't help. This is post installation, due to trying to get two similar Windows Embedded devices with slightly different hardware running out of one restore disk set.

What looks to be the problem is that the Intel .inf files have a needs=something that causes XP to go hunting for that and not realizing it is already there.

Example:

needs=pciide_system

Which goes out hunting for pci.sys, which is already in c:\windows\system32\drivers.

I was able to extract the inf files from the installer and modify them to remove the needs= for stuff that is there, then run them through devcon, but doing that for all 8 devices (usb, usb2, ide, northbridge, etc...) is lame. I wish there was some sort of "look for the files there" parameter. But, it looks like I may just have to do it that way.

4. Demon10000

Demon10000 [H]ardness Supreme

I think it's going to ask regardless of the files already being on the system or not. So what you need to do is copy the i386 directory from the installation CD to the computer and then set the key telling windows where the i386 directory is.

Like you said, you can edit out the requirements, but thats the a manual process. Good thing you only really have to do it once! :)