Windows XP Does Not Respond at "Setup Is Starting Windows XP" Message

tw0_f0ur_

Gawd
Hello, I just started to build a comp of extra parts I had laying around and Everything was going well untill I put in my windows XP cd. It will go all the way till Setup Is Starting Windows XP screen and will stop and stay that way. IM going to try and have my HDD reformatted right now and see if that works. There is a perviously installed version on XP on the HDD but its from a different system.

Specs:
ASUS mobo
XP 2200+ AMD
256 DDR
100 GB PATA hdd
DVD ROM
Geforce video card

tw0_f0ur_ said:
Hello, I just started to build a comp of extra parts I had laying around and Everything was going well untill I put in my windows XP cd. It will go all the way till Setup Is Starting Windows XP screen and will stop and stay that way. IM going to try and have my HDD reformatted right now and see if that works. There is a perviously installed version on XP on the HDD but its from a different system.

Specs:
ASUS mobo
XP 2200+ AMD
256 DDR
100 GB PATA hdd
DVD ROM
Geforce video card

i would use fdisk/ultimate boot cd to zero the drive and then try again, it's probably some file left on the drive from a previous install

dont do that
ive seen this before twice on new systems ive built
oh man...i trying to remember
i think you push f2 when it starts to load the xp disc and you got to change something
shit..lemme go look for ya...i knew i shoulda saved this

I have a DVD drive and a CD-RW in there. I tried it on both. Im going to try chainging the IDE cable. I just tried flashing the BIO's to the updated ones and that didnt work. Ive tried loading bios into fail safe. Ive tried switching HDD's. Its coming down to be the IDE cable, the CD, the DVD or CD-RW drive, mobo or cpu.

I just had the same problem 2 nights ago and found that my solution was the one that darknite came up with. When you press F5 while the install CD loads are you able to choose a different HAL at all or are you not getting that menu?

I tryed changing my HAL but it when i change it to Other it asks me to put in a floppy of some sort and when i change it to the other one( i forgot the name) it doesnt work :-(

Try disabling the Bios Shadowing in the bios. I had the same problem with my eVGA motherboard and that fixed it.

It might be called Video Bios Shadowing. Mine was in the Advanced bios settings section.

Try formatting with the command line.......... FORMAT c: /FS:NTFS (assuming you have NTFS), then install XP.

i have the ASUS AN78X-X mobo with the 1010-X bios. I will try formatting it tonight again then I will gat back to everyone soon

tw0_f0ur_ said:
whats that mean.. I will do the momory test now

Read the F'n Manual. Its old computer slang.

The manual or the motherboard box should list the chipset thats onthe motherboard. It maybe Via Kt400, KM400 or Nforce something (2, 3, 4). What socket does it have?

socket A and i dont have the mobo book. lost it.. but on the ASUS website it says i have a NVIDIA nForce2-400

Can you post a link to the motherboard. The website should also allow you to download a pdf of the manual.

I had this problem once on a MSI P4 board, Disablign USB, Sound, and nic fixed it, once i was in windows I re-enabled it and let windows install drivers.

nope tried disableing everything in the BIOS and it still didnt work. I tried that Format thing FORMAT C:/FS:NTFS and it didnt work in the 98SE boot disk. I donno what to try now :-/

i tired that.. even tried taking the battery out and setting it aside for 1 hr and put it back in

if you can hook the drive to another pc try copying the cd to a folder adn running the setup from there
i had to do that one time because of a bad cd drive on a laptop
just skip the formating part of it

Back