Windows XP and Novell login

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Direwolf20, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Direwolf20

Direwolf20 2[H]4U

Ok guys, heres an explanation of what I'd like to do.

We have a bunch of new computers that we've just upgraded to Windows XP. We have novell client version 4.90 with SP1A installed on all the PC's. Each user has a login name and password, and until now what I've been doing is creating a local windows XP account with the same name as their novell login, and then adding them to the administrators group. I sync their passwords, and that way they only have to login to Novell, and it auto-logs into windows.

The problem is that many of our users are moving around from one PC to another, and when they try to login to novell with their novell login/password, windows XP says "Hey, you don't have a local account setup here" and then they either have to login as administrator (Which we don't want) or as the user who own's the machine (Whose password we don't want to give out).

I know theres a way to set it up so that when you login to novell, and theres no local account, it will create a temporary windows login and allow you access to the machine.

Does anyone know how to do this? Can you give that 'temporary' account settings, such as desktop, favorites, color schemes, yada yada?

If you need a better explanation of what I'd like to do, I can try to provide one for you.

Thanks in advance for your help guys :)

-Direwolf

2. LGZdarkside

LGZdarkside [H]ard [H]eaded

3. Direwolf20

Direwolf20 2[H]4U

Thanks for the reply brent :).

I've checked out that article, and it appears that it will auto-login everyone under an already existing login name.

What I had wanted it to do is if a user with the same login name exists on the workstation, use that. Otherwise, log the user in with a generic account, probably with admin access.

So for example. I'm using my PC, and I have a novell login. I login to novell as "Direwolf" and windows has an account named "Direwolf" so it uses that, and loads up all my settings and stuff.

Then I move over to another PC. I login as Direwolf to novell, but windows does NOT have an account for me. What it does is pop up the windows login dialogue and say "Please enter a valid username/password to login to the windows workstation". What I want it to do is just let me login to the workstation, with a generic account of some form with admin access.

This way, I can move around to different PC's in the building and login to windows as just "Direwolf".

I hope that made sense :).

Thanks in advance,

4. Digital-Vortex

Digital-Vortex Gawd

I've encountered this king of set up before, at college they have windows XP with the Novell login.

To the best of my knowledge (so dont hold me to this) when we log in with our own network accounts a windows box apperals askign for a username and password, by default the user is administrator, and there is no password for this account. with the restrictions in effect it wont matter, we cant access anything but what were given, so no control panel or stuff like that that we could screw up.

i could find out if you wished

5. LGZdarkside

LGZdarkside [H]ard [H]eaded

We used (been 4 years since I touched a novell box) NDS for NT domain integration but it sounds like you do not have a NT domain controller set up.

You could add one just for the roaming profiles (I think that is what you are wanting)

I also think you can do roaming profiles and point to the Netware server to store them. Then you can use a generic login at the box and individual settings can be "transparent" to the user (provided the machines have identical software installs).

We also used Zenworks to control the look of the desktop and push apps as need to workstations.

Also, the Knowledge base and forums at www.novell.com are very helpful with this kind of stuff..

Good luck,

Brent

6. Direwolf20

Direwolf20 2[H]4U

Yea brent, that sounds something like what I'm looking for, thanks! I'll head over to novell's site.