Windows X64 gamers what is your opinion?

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
Have yet to try a whole lot a game but the first two I throw at it performs really well. Now I have a real high end computer so you should expect it but I seem to get the same or better performance out of X64 than old XP :).

FS 2004 is definiatly much smoother.

SWAT 3 for some reason performed really poor on moms P 4 3.4 gig, 1 gig RAM and 6800 video card but much better on mine (though it´s faster of course).

SWAT 4 absolutely smooth as well.

I did try out some beta but then there was to much issues but it seem pretty mature now. I can even use my Audigy 2 card now :).

But I have noted that just small things like opening your web browser and other stuff goes quicker even if those things don´t matter much.

Too early to give a real verdict but it seem to work great so far with good backward compability.

It actually is surprising that 32bit progs run better because it has to use WoW.

As far as windows enviroment is concerned, it's faster because of its better memory management, optimization, and pretty much every improvement MS did the OS.

I haven't gamed on my WinXP-64 system at all. I was about to, but I had exams over the past two weeks. Now that they are over, I am looking forward to thoroughly testing this OS out.

peace,
OriginalOCer

Yeah. As a whole, WinXP64 is faster for everything that I have done so far. Now that I have drivers for everything I need. I dont care about printer stuff and antivirus software. That can come later.

Games in general seem the same. Programs in general are smoother running, more repsonsive etc. :)

My brother is using WinXp64 and he's got a few gripes about it. But overall he likes it. I've DLed it but haven't installed it. I'm trying to wait for the retail version to become available before I use it. Anybody know when it's supposed to come out?

Well...my opinion is I am gonna get that thing when it comes out officially....but..I heard they were gonna screw you and only release windows 64 to newly built computers...from oem's...

Yeah you have to buy some hardware at the same time :).

But I don´t know I just can´t trust my god damn sucky computer any more.

I just got back the stutters I had before. Then I had a confirmed kill on my 6800 ULTRA so thought that was the issue but now I don´t know.

One second I run SWAT 4 100 % smooth.

Now stuttering as heck in training levels and overall. But this I don´t think have anything with XP 64 to do had the same problem with XP 32.

Oooh jeesus. My 6800 ULTRA is idling at 77 degree C and 58 degree ambients (which I guess is like mem).

My former 6800 ULTRA was idling below 60???

Moose777 said:
But overall he likes it. I've DLed it but haven't installed it.
Red lights are flashing all around. You'd better clarify what you mean by "DLed it".

aZn_plyR said:
Well...my opinion is I am gonna get that thing when it comes out officially....but..I heard they were gonna screw you and only release windows 64 to newly built computers...from oem's...
Didn't ya know? All us peeps who bought a retail XP Pro get a free swap to xp64. Thats been official werd from MS on the subject for months. I got no clue whos arse ya picked that info from, but that shoots yer theory down.

aZn_plyR said:

they could do that...Then ill just get me a haxor copy of it...kinda shootin them self in the foot as i plan on paying $200 for XP64 pro when it comes out, assumming they sell the retail for the custom builder..

Torgo said:
Red lights are flashing all around. You'd better clarify what you mean by "DLed it".
Sorry....Downloaded the Beta from Microsoft's website.

I honestly thought that was a given. :rolleyes:

Paranoid much? I mean seriously. I DLed WinXp64, I really did think that was a given as to meaning the beta version of it. I didn't install it because I couldn't figure out how to run the program so instead of fight with it for a few days I decided to wait for the retail version to come out.

I(illa Bee said:
they could do that...Then ill just get me a haxor copy of it...kinda shootin them self in the foot as i plan on paying $200 for XP64 pro when it comes out, assumming they sell the retail for the custom builder..
Last I checked Xp64 Pro was going to go around $400. But that was a few months ago.

Rune75 said:
Didn't ya know? All us peeps who bought a retail XP Pro get a free swap to xp64. Thats been official werd from MS on the subject for months. I got no clue whos arse ya picked that info from, but that shoots yer theory down.

omg..I am on XP home edition..gay!!

Honestly, who here who has a lower OR even regular income, BUYS the new version of Windows? :rolleyes:

If someone can save $400, they sure are gonna lean towards that.

If you disagree, you are a rich faggot asshat. :p

Luxor said:
Honestly, who here who has a lower OR even regular income, BUYS the new version of Windows? :rolleyes:

If someone can save $400, they sure are gonna lean towards that.

If you disagree, you are a rich faggot asshat. :p
I can save $400. But I can also tell you right now it's not going to buy WinXp64. Nope, it's gonna buy me some ceramic coated turbo pistons for my Neon so I can finally install the turbo.

You can't download XP x64 edition anymore b/c its no longer in beta stages.

I have the final too, and I like it... but I have my gripes as well. Some of my favorite programs don't work correctly (if at all) yet, and some of my devices don't have 64bit drivers just yet.

My biggest like about x64 edition... is Microsoft pretty much took all the "gay" out of it that WindowsXP 32bit has.

TheGamerZ said:
My biggest like about x64 edition... is Microsoft pretty much took all the "gay" out of it that WindowsXP 32bit has.
So... no more man on man Windows sex? Thank god... ;)

TheGamerZ said:
You can't download XP x64 edition anymore b/c its no longer in beta stages.

I have the final too, and I like it... but I have my gripes as well. Some of my favorite programs don't work correctly (if at all) yet, and some of my devices don't have 64bit drivers just yet.

Hey ya'll i've been reading your opinions on the Win X64 Beta thing and i downloaded it a couple of month ago but am still very cautious...

Tell me TheGamerZ what you mean when you say some programs dont work. Crap like Photoshop, DVD Copy, DivX player and so on or MS Word and all those boring crap programs for working on.

And will all teh latest games run on it.

I tried it out...I can't wait for a retail version.

The start-up didn't seem any quicker, but the OS itself is so damned responsive and quick that I ignored that little annoyance. Installations were damned near instant and loading times for games were decreased significantly.

My only gripe was that my soundcard wasn't supported, but hey...it was beta.

WickedAngel said:
I tried it out...I can't wait for a retail version.

The start-up didn't seem any quicker, but the OS itself is so damned responsive and quick that I ignored that little annoyance. Installations were damned near instant and loading times for games were decreased significantly.

My only gripe was that my soundcard wasn't supported, but hey...it was beta.

Tell me WIcked... are you running it still or converted back to XP pro. I mean in the not so distant future everone will probaly upgrade to WIn X64 anyways.

Is it cool to use now allready or should i wait for the retail version. :rolleyes:

I switched back because I couldn't get it to recognize my sound card. I play Desert Combat often so sound is crucial...I also enjoy listening to music while I do my homework.

I didn't use the beta for long...just long enough to get a feel for the OS and get an idea of what could be expected from the final version.

Networking was a breeze, I should add. I didn't have a single problem in setting up my wireless network.

I would recommend it now, depending on your videocard/soundcard compatibility.

Well it picked up my Audigy 2 and that will have to say something when the company with the crappest driver support on the planet actually get it working in X64 :).

To be honest I am kind of amazed that everything I throwed at it so far works without any issues :). I have Windows XP 32 on my smaller Raptor and X64 is indead a bit more responsive.

Nothing huge or worth 400$ though but the prices are much cheaper than that in Sweden anyway. Way below 200$.

And yes it´s OEM only but you can buy an audio cable for 5$ and then you are allowed to buy X64 OEM :).

That windows would ev give it away for free was never confirmed and as it looks like will never be.

WickedAngel said:
I switched back because I couldn't get it to recognize my sound card. I play Desert Combat often so sound is crucial...I also enjoy listening to music while I do my homework.

I didn't use the beta for long...just long enough to get a feel for the OS and get an idea of what could be expected from the final version.

Networking was a breeze, I should add. I didn't have a single problem in setting up my wireless network.

I would recommend it now, depending on your videocard/soundcard compatibility.

I use onboard sound so my motherboard cd has the drivers i need, hope its compatible. ATI 9200 card so hope the catalyst driver is compatible.

Would like to install X64 and use it.

And yes will Bill ever in his life hand out free Windows to anyone.. methinks not

Wurn said:
Tell me TheGamerZ what you mean when you say some programs dont work. Crap like Photoshop, DVD Copy, DivX player and so on or MS Word and all those boring crap programs for working on.

And will all teh latest games run on it.

It's mostly little unimportant programs that don't work right. Mainly StyleXP or FlyakiteOSX transformation pack. Everything else that I've tried seems to work so far. All my games work marvelously.

Seems a shame we have to buy something at the same time as ordering the oem, after all I did buy some hardware to run it on about 6 months ago! But most online places will probably let you order a new power cord to go with it. I think I'll be ordering 2GB of ram anyway though.

-(Xyphox)- said:
ok, thanks man
No problem.

ECM said:
I think it was, for most of us.
Exactly. Oh well, he'll figure it out eventually. hehe

And now I'm stoked. I can think of some things I need for my rig but I dunno if they'd count enough for me to get Xp64. It's worth a shot though.

I can understand why XP64 would need new hardware drivers, 64 bit, because they are hardware-level. But I was under the impression that all 32bit apps would work fine on it? Even little utilities, and NAV, StyleXP, TVTool and the like... since they are just plain little 32 bit apps.

Hmm. The XP Pro swap plan, is that retail only, or for OEM's too? Thanks,

-jenkins

steviep said:
I can understand why XP64 would need new hardware drivers, 64 bit, because they are hardware-level. But I was under the impression that all 32bit apps would work fine on it? Even little utilities, and NAV, StyleXP, TVTool and the like... since they are just plain little 32 bit apps.

But the program has to offer support for that operating system. Just like StyleXP had to be updated to work with XP Service Pack 2. Different iterations of Windows go about things differently. It may only be ever so slightly different... but different enough to break stuff.

Back