Windows wont boot after Tue patch update.

PedroDaGr8

Limp Gawd
I posted this in another thread on here and realized I probably should have posted this in its own thread so here we go (Mods if this is against protocol just delete my thread)
I updated the MS patches from on Tue (I did it yesterday because the network was down). Now my computer will not start. I had had a few BSODs previously, but I can't remember the details right now. They usually occured when playing games or music and when they would occur I would get a hideous digital screeching over my headphones.
the minidumps from recent are:
http://locker.uky.edu/~jestru0/Mini110105-01.dmp
http://locker.uky.edu/~jestru0/Mini091405-01.dmp
http://locker.uky.edu/~jestru0/Mini091205-01.dmp
http://locker.uky.edu/~jestru0/Mini083105-01.dmp
http://locker.uky.edu/~jestru0/user.dmp
I honestly don't know if these things are related. All that I know is that when I applied the patches from tuesday, my system will reach the windows loading screen (with the scrolling blue bar) and then a black screen a bit of HD acess then after about 30sec it restarts.I tried safe mode, last good configuration, and no luck.
I am running WinXPPro SP2, StyleXP, McAfee Antivirus Enterprise with uptodate dats. MS AntiSpyware, Adaware, Spybpt S&D, and scan weekly on trendmicro. No OCing, MEMTEST86 comes up clean and as of a month ago PRIME95 ran fine for 1 week (I went on vacation and just had my mom check on the computer).
This has me really perplexed. I have a full memdump but no where to upload it as it is 768mb in size.

Edit: the mem dumps have been solved and none were the problem that I am having, with windows not even booting

Having the same problem with one of my computers. Looks like it did a auto update on tuesday. Now it won't boot. I can get into safe mode though. I did a system recovery for just before the update install but still can not get it to boot into windows. I am now doing a a Windows repair install.. will see.. I guess if I get it working I will turn off auto update from here on out..

yep exactly, aparently tue. update did it. I can't even get into safe mode. I don't know what came down from that patch release but it def, f-ed up my computer. By the way let me know if a repair install works. else its copy everything over to an old drive and start over.

Damn, I had to a resintall of WinXP last week as well on Wednesday. Never figured out what the cause was, but the BSOD was BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO which according to the MS KB, its cause of bad ram. My ram tested out fine and a repair install didnt work well, so a fresh one is what I did.

Maybe mine was a result of this patch as well.....

I would guess you guys have some sort of malware that was interfering with that particular part of windows that got updated. Could it have been the SONY rootkit that MS is now removing?

Edit: Oh, and according to Sysinternals the rootkit does install to run in safe-mode too, so there's NO WAY around it.

Yes the Repair install worked, a couple of my motherboard drivers needed to be uninstalled and reinstalled before I got my network working again.. But it all seems fine now..

The computer has the same motherboard as mine in the my Sig.. Its not my main rig and I can't think of anytime i've used it other then in some lan games at home. I play no music on it at all..

Mongoose

Edit: Okay I have also had to install video drivers again.. (flails arms around) Though it seems like it's working okay now.. heh...

Is the lockup you guys have occuring during the Windows XP splash screen? The little green bar gets about half way across and then freezes.

I just did a format/reinstall of Windows XP Home SP2 on a computer and when it started up it did the updates. When I rebooted, the system won't start up anymore.

I am starting to play with it now.

On mine which is XPPro it occurs RIGHT after the screen disappeared. I ran it in safe mode and it would stop on agp440.sys. I wonder if it has something to do with old GeForce drivers. I dunno. I'll try the repair install when I ghet home. Thanks for trying. I'll let you know how it goes.

My issue is similar to Mongose101. I can get into safe mode, but never into normal mode. A repair install did not work for me. I am reinstalling again right now.

Yep " The little green bar gets about half way across and then freezes." thats what it was doing..

But my bar is blue...

good luck

Mongoose

Mongose101 said:
Yep " The little green bar gets about half way across and then freezes." thats what it was doing..

But my bar is blue...

good luck

Mongoose

yeah, bar is blue. My bad.

Well, I just finished a reinstall. Now I am wondering if I should try to update or just turn that off. I am not excited about turning updates off, but if thats what I need to do I suppose.

edit: Well, for me it was not the update. I skipped the updates this time and just updated the Radeon drivers and I am getting the same issue. I guess its back to the drawing board.

I was having trouble with the video drivers as well, I have a ATI 9800pro in that computer. I downloaded some user tweaked ver. from Guru3d.com and now it seems fine..

Seems strange.. But it sounds like you've narrowed it down to the video driver maybe...

Mongose101 said:
I was having trouble with the video drivers as well, I have a ATI 9800pro in that computer. I downloaded some user tweaked ver. from Guru3d.com and now it seems fine..

Seems strange.. But it sounds like you've narrowed it down to the video driver maybe...

Well, I am not going to derail this thread any further with this one. It was not the video card drivers. Still haven't traced what it is though. It is really wierd. I am still working on it. I may go ahead and update windows again and see.

edit: I may grab those other drivers anyway though, thanks for the suggestion.

Just an update on my situation. I was experiencing the same problems as the OP for a while. Lockup on the black screen, could not go into safe mode.

I fixed mine though. Turned out to be a bad PSU.

Sorry I can't be of any more help to anyone else, but a new PSU fixed all the startup issues I was having. Updates and everything are working fine after one last format/reinstall.

Hmm, I have an Antec TrueControl and I haven't checked the rails in a while, maybe I'll check those and while I'm at it check the caps on my mobo too since it seems like bad caps are back again. :rolleyes:

If that is not it, my friend, who works for MS, game me a card for a free tech support call to MS, so they may be getting a call soon.

PedroDaGr8 said:
Hmm, I have an Antec TrueControl and I haven't checked the rails in a while, maybe I'll check those and while I'm at it check the caps on my mobo too since it seems like bad caps are back again. :rolleyes:

If that is not it, my friend, who works for MS, game me a card for a free tech support call to MS, so they may be getting a call soon.

You might also try unplugging you floppy drive if you are grasping at straws. I got the PSU plugged in and everything was fine until I hooked the Floppy back up. Then everything started locking up again. Unplugged the floppy drive and everything is working.

Back