Windows Vista Update yesterday broke silverlight, can't use anymore

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
It's been for a while that I couldn't install silverlight 64 bit (the default version it downloads for my 64bit windows vista) but I could install the 32bit version that worked enough to use.

Yesterday there was a windows update which was automatically installed and now silverlight no longer works, even when I reinstall the 32bit version when trying to view a silverlight video it says silverlight not installed.

Is this part of the Windows 10 push?

Is there anything I can do?

I'm paying per month for a video streaming service that uses silverlight so I'm not happy. Of course it works fine on Windows 8 but my tv room htpc has vista.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
[U]ber|Noob;1041550572 said:
I'm paying per month for a video streaming service that uses silverlight so I'm not happy. Of course it works fine on Windows 8 but my tv room htpc has vista.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Which service is that? If it's Netflix then just install Chrome, no silverlight needed anymore.

[U]ber|Noob;1041550711 said:
It's
https://www.quickflix.com.au/

I'm not sure which update to uninstall.
I've never really looked into individual updates before and a lot of them seem to say the same thing.
Uninstall every Windows update from that day and reboot to verify that it was actually an update. There's only a handful.

All the updates on the 16th are listed as 'security updates' so I am a bit hesitant to uninstall. Is it easy to reinstall them or some of them later? Will they reappear as updates in windows update?

Another thing (but I haven't fully tested this yet) if you don't have the latest silverlight the streaming service won't work as it says you need the latest one. So it might be that if I uninstall the updates I can't use it anyway.

Anyway I've cancelled the streaming service (at the end of the month) because of this.
But I will be going to linux and using a streaming service that doesn't use silverlight instead and I wont be buying windows 10.

They claim here
http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/locale/en-us/html/installation-win-SL5.html
that windows vista 64 sp2 is supported but it's not and there are numerous threads filled with lots of posts by people saying the same thing. So it seems to me that they have now stopped the 32bit version from working also. Maybe it could be an auto chrome update that stopped it working, but the night before it stopped working it automatically installed a lot of windows updates before shutting down.

Last edited:
Ok so I uninstalled all the updates from the 16th and set it to prompt before installing any updates.

I then installed silverlight 32bit (can't install the 64bit as explained).

I tried installing the original silverlight download I had that used to work, once installed I couldn't watch anything because it said I needed a newer version. So I downloaded silverlight again and installed it and it still said I need a newer version.

So it seems to me that one of the updates maybe the .net one must have stopped even the 32bit silverlight working on vista 64 sp2 for good.

Can anyone confirm?

With Silverlight, you should install the version that matches your OS architecture. It sounds like you're running 64bit Windows, but forcing the 32bit version of silverlight to install somehow.

I would look at that as the problem and try to figure out why that version of silverlight won't install.

I just uninstalled and downloaded the latest to see what the latest version of silverlight is. It's 5.1.3.0514.0.

When I installed, I also installed the 64bit version (what it recommended for me) and then verified it worked in a 32bit browser.

I cannot install the 64 bit version on windows vista 64bit sp2.

Neither can hundreds of other people.

see here
https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=c...ilverlight+windows+vista+64+bit+won't+install

The work-around was to force install the 32bit version instead which is what I have been using up until this latest windows update stopped that working as well.

There was another work around (extracting the file manually) but they seem to have changed the way the installer is packaged now for newer silverlight versions and I can't find the files mentioned in the work-around.

Last edited:
Are you using Chrome?

A Chrome update now disables npapi, which in turn disables browser plugins that rely on it... like Java and Silverlight. They will not even be listed in this state, so if you go to the plugin list, they simply won't be there.

Go to here and you can enable it again.
chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

Thanks!

That fixed it. I had been using firefox a few months ago but it stopped working on that so I went to chrome, then it stopped working on chrome.

With regard to the 64bit version, the problem is windows vista 64bit sp2 won't let me install the 64bit version, it says
"Your operating system does not support the 64bit version of silverlight"
It seems that there are hundreds of other people with the exact same problem.

But it works again now in chrome with the 32bit version so that's good enough for now.

Thanks

Back